[RESOLVED] DVD Player Not Recognized

Thread: [RESOLVED] DVD Player Not Recognized

Resolved [RESOLVED] DVD Player Not Recognized

I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard with a formatted hard drive. The BIOS recognizes the hard drive but not the DVD player. I put a different DVD player in but it still didn't recognize it. I tried putting the cables in the different SATA plugins with no luck. The DVD player did work before when I put Ubuntu 19.04 from a DVD I had burned with the installation file. Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks

Are you sure that the SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS? It should be set to "Auto", not "None".

Thanks for the reply!
    I went into the BIOS and on the "standard CMOS features" There are the IDE Channel 0 master and 0 slave, 1 master and 1 slave, 2 master, 3 master, 4 master and 4 slave, 5 master and 5 slave. Then in yellow next to each one below the date and time setting are the choices for the "none", "Auto", and "Manual". I chose "Auto" for all of them and the only one that didn't say "none" was the numbers for the hard drive. I selected "Auto" and clicked "enter" for a choice. Is that correct?

Ya, I think so. You could save the settings, restart, and go back into the BIOS settings to see if they stick.

I have done that 5 or 6 times. The settings never say "auto" when I select it . They always say "none" after I have selected "auto" and click "enter".

Hmm. That's strange. If it's set to None, then it'll skip that SATA port. SATA ports don't have slaves, so I'd think you only have to set the Masters to Auto.
    You could try to load the defaults and see if you can enable the SATA ports after that.

From the MB manual:
    IDE Channel 2, 3 Master, IDE Channel 4, 5 Master/Slave
    IDE Auto-Detection
    Press <Enter> to autodetect the parameters of the IDE/SATA device on this channel.
    Extended IDE Drive
    Configure your IDE/SATA devices by using one of the two methods below:
    • Auto Lets the BIOS automatically detect IDE/SATA devices during the POST. (Default)
    • None If no IDE/SATA devices are used, set this item to None so the system will skip
    the detection of the device during the POST for faster system startup.

I had taken the hard drive to a place called Free Geek because I couldn't figure out how to format it. They formatted it for me. What I didn't realize is that they use Linux and they wiped it clean. So I went to their forum and got this method.

Use gparted.

sudo -H gparted is the correct command. Knowing nothing, but assuming the disk is NOT the disk used with the OS and can be completely wiped, I would:
    Run gparted
    Select the correct disk (upper right-hand picker)
    Create a new GPT partition table
    Create 1-100 partitions, sized for my needs.
    Pick 1 of the partitions, right click on it, and choose the format + file system I want
    Click "Apply" and wait as everything is done.

Once I figured out how to get there partitioning and formatting was easy. I apologize for not thinking that it was Linux which would have made things easier. Thank you for your help!

I thought your issue was that the DVD drive was not being detected by the BIOS. Partitioning is a totally different issue. Oh well.

I was not trying to deceive you. The DVD player was not showing up on the desk top where I normally see it as a "D" or "E" drive. It certainly didn't "read" a DVD so I assumed there was some kind of problem of it not being recognized. So I apologize if misled you.

Thread Information