Windows 10 wifi dropouts - not hardware related (STUMPED!)

Thread: Windows 10 wifi dropouts - not hardware related (STUMPED!)

Threaded View

Windows 10 wifi dropouts - not hardware related (STUMPED!)

I have a self built desktop that is dual booted with Windows 10 (1903) and Mac OS Mojave. I use a USB dual band USB adapter (based on Realtek RT8811AU chipset). In Windows 10 I experience WIFI dropouts. In Mac OS, the WIFI works 100% flawlessly. Hence, this is NOT hardware related.

The issue is apparent when I run a speed test and see huge sporadic dips while the test is running in Windows. The same test in Mac results in NO dropouts.
    It's also apparent when streaming HULU and the video will randomly pixelate to a lower quality/lower bandwidth stream. Again, not in Mac OS.

WIFI signal strength is maximum and PC is close proximity to the router. There is nothing else on the network sucking up bandwidth or causing interference.

Things I have tried to no avail:

- a newer and different WIFI adapter with a different chipset (Hence, not adapter related)
    - using 2.4 GHZ or 5 GHZ WIFI
    - different WIFI channels
    - updating WIFI drivers
    - disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager for the adapter
    - a program called WLAN Optimizer which is supposed to disable automatic periodic scanning for new networks
    - disabling and re-enabling the adapter
    - restarting the WLAN service
    - Assigning a static IP and DNS settings and DHCP for the adapter
    - scanning for malware with Malware Bytes Anti Rootkit and Windows Defender (none found - newish OS install)
    - using the netstat command to look for abnormal traffic while the dropouts occur (none found)
    - using Windows Resource Monitor to check for processes using network bandwidth (nothing abnormal or relevant)
    - disabling/enabling QOS for the adapter
    - just abut every other setting for the adapter in Device Manager under the Advanced tab
    - removing unused hidden devices in Device Manager
    - checking for and disabling various programs and processes
    - staying current with Windows Updates
    - disabling browser-Firefox extensions (I use the same extensions and browser in Mac OS with no ill effects).

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Alcyone; September 13th, 2019 at 03:32 PM.

Thread Information