computer speakers pick up cell phone comms

Thread: computer speakers pick up cell phone comms

computer speakers pick up cell phone comms

Interesting.. My computer speakers, mid quality, self powered generic brand that I've had for years just recently starting about two weeks ago, have been picking up the signals from my cell phone.. a Samsung S6, that I've had for a year. It's an intermittent buzzy/digital kind of sound. Like...

Dzzzz...Dzz.Dzzzzzz..Dzzz maybe for 5 seconds every 15 or 30 minutes. It's not very loud although it gets much louder if I hold the phone next to the speaker with the amp inside.

It's only slightly annoying and not even close to a show stopper but I'm wondering why it would have just recently started. I haven't moved the speakers or any part of the PC setup or rearranged the wiring or added any new apps to the phone.

It's definitely just the speakers.. muting the audio on the PC has no effect.

Ultimately though I'm wondering more why it's just started more than stopping it which I'm guessing would be difficult. I mean I could just move my cell phone a few more feet away but I like it within arm's reach for obvious reasons. And I'm not going to build a Faraday cage or wrap my speakers in aluminum foil LOL.

ideas?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

So after doing some more searching it's become apparent this is a much more common problem than I'd thought. I'm going to try and find some cheap Ferrite Clamp On Cores locally for my speaker cables to try and filter out the EMI.

https://www.mouser.ca/Fair-Rite/Pass...w7t7?P=1z0zldu

Still odd that it would just suddenly start though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4IR_gPuUE

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have had speakers and/or a sound card pick up radio stations in the past. I am guessing that is the cheap amplifier circuitry that may be the cause.

Before cell phones, my speakers used to pick up taxi drivers and police cars. They had some kind or walkie-talkie system. It was exciting....pre-internet.
    Last edited by foxy; September 25th, 2019 at 02:12 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information