Strange Behavior of Startup Programs - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange Behavior of Startup Programs

The Event Viewer error appears to be caused by another Microsoft "update" (KB2844286) that was not properly tested.

Possibly useful links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3f22c3d?page=2

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...-custom-views/

Thank you. When I have a chance I will take a look at this. I doubt any error will show though because Task Scheduler reports that the program was successfully launched even when it wasn't. I'd say it launches correctly about every 4th or 5th boot. The other times it looks like it is launching but then isn't running after the boot up completes. One of the most bizarre Windows problems I have ever seen. Something tells me I might need a program that starts before this starts on boot and records what is happening.

Was able to look at the logs in Event Viewer, and I looked at all events around start-up time, but didn't see anything suspicious. Not completely sure what I was looking for though.

I still have not solved this issue. It's the only issue on my new PC I was never able to solve and get working right. It is still doing the same thing it did when I started this thread. No progress at all. One of the most frustrating problems I've ever encountered in Windows.

I got no response when I posted the problem on the Launchy site.

Have you tried creating your own startup command for the program instead of relying on it's own?

https://www.howtogeek.com/228467/how...-any-computer/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Have you tried creating your own startup command for the program instead of relying on it's own?
    Thank you... Yes, as a matter of fact that is the only things I've tried since the program has no startup option built in. I've tried launching it from the Windows startup folder and from Windows Task Manager with various combinations of things and nothing worked.

However, you did trigger an idea in my mind. There is one setting in Launchy options worth a try fooling with. It doesn't have a startup option to start with Windows, but although it's a long shot I might try changing some of its other options on the theory they might have some effect. Offhand I only see one that has any reasonable chance of an effect. But worth a try, not much to lose at this point because I am completely out of ideas. I'll report back if it works.

Another thing to try that might be worth an outside chance... try temp disabling your a/v program for a few reboots. There may be a slight possibility it sees an unknown program starting as some sort of malware within it's heuristic programming especially since it isn't a really well known app. If that's the case then you can try whitelisting it.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Hi fink... it's taken me some time to reply since I had a series of issues to resolve before having the information I needed.

I do not use a/v software. The only related kind of program on my PC is Windows Defender. So I tried to add the program as an exclusion in WD as a long shot. I found that I could not add it through the WD settings which is odd since I am positive I have added exclusions that way in the past. But when I try to add it to the exclusion list, it does not add anything to the list. As a matter of fact there is nothing on the list. I was able to add it to the list however, by doing it through group policies. But unfortunately the problem is still there even when it is excluded in WD.

Randomly, about (but not exactly) every 5 boots, the program will launch. Nothing I have tried seems to have any effect on that result. Seems to be an insoluble problem.

Still open to ideas because I don't have any more! Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Thread Information