Finding hardware specs on wiped computers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding hardware specs on wiped computers

Finding hardware specs on wiped computers

My friend's husband was a retired IT person. He left 12 computers, and she said I could have one. I'm looking for one that would have the minimum requirements or better for Win 10 and I would use this just for work. A user on sevenforums has a highly customized Win 10 with a tutorial, and I want to buy 10 and install it.

Problem is, my friend had someone come over from my computer club and wipe all the HD's because she's planning of taking them to Staples for recycling.

Now I have to go into the BIOS of each machine and look at the hardware, except the one I know was XP.

1--if I don't know what brand of BIOS is in a machine, is F10 universal?
    2--I'm not an expert on reading a BIOS. Aside from the size of the HD, what else should I look at? I don't need high-powered graphics cards or sound.
    Last edited by foxy; August 28th, 2019 at 01:01 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I can't edit the post. I wanted to explain that my friend's husband had passed on.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    What brand is the computer you want specs on?

If a brand name you go to the brand name's site and look that up. If home built, the BIOS will not tell you what specs are in the computer, you have to open the case and look at each component.

If the OS has been wiped, then you cannot use a software tool like Speccy to scan for the hardware specs. You have to open the case and look at the components inside to check for make and model numbers. A flashlight will be helpful for this task.

She didn't say whether they were self built or branded. I've known IT techs to buy branded computers. Namely, Train. And ones I knew in Texas when I worked the computer shop there, that bought Dell.

One other idea might be to use the Ultimate Boot CD tools to check the hardware specs.

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the page at the above link to see what tools are available.

Hey, guys, having a nice conversation? Went over there today. I don't know of his building any himself recently. I skipped the ones that said "boot from a floppy to start."

And I think this is the best one. BIOS (F2) says

ASRock EUFI MSI
    3400 MHZ
    MS update 306A9 (is this a code for the OS?
    RAM 8193MB
    It looks glossy and new compared to the others, and think this the only that one had the Win10. That &##$@&&!! wiped it instead of just wiping the data, and my friend didn't know the difference.

Now even the dedicated Win7 users in my club won't take any of the other computers. There aren't many who know how to install an OS from scratch and legal Win 7 discs are rarer than hen's teeth.
    Last edited by foxy; August 28th, 2019 at 07:48 PM.

not EUFI, UEFI. I also need to find out if the HD is SSD or not, but I'm not familiar with UEFI. This machine is actually too good for Win10, being used just for work.
    Last edited by foxy; August 28th, 2019 at 09:51 PM.

The 306A9 code would indicate an LGA 1155 motherboard. That should be a decent computer. 8 GB of memory.

The motherboard may be one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157230

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157249

The BIOS should indicate whether it has an SSD or HD, if you check the boot devices.

Thanks, have to wait till I go over there again, because I'll need my luggage carrier to get it to my place. And wouldn't there be a label on the case with a Win 10 product key?

J, you have no idea how much computer stuff we're cleaning out of 3 offices + the garage. My friend doesn't do much more than email and an occasional web lookup, and she's anxious to get rid of the clutter. She's not a geek, doesn't want to use Freecycle, and she says the club and I can take whatever we want. Yesterday we did just piles of floppies, CD's and DVD"s.
    Last edited by foxy; August 29th, 2019 at 11:52 AM.

Windows 10 product key info:

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1760...s-product-key/

There may not have been a sticker on this computer with Windows 10.

Thanks. So glad M$ simplified the process
    Last edited by foxy; August 29th, 2019 at 01:17 PM.

Hey, guys, having a nice conversation? "
    I was waiting to see if this was a branded computer. I see by your answer that he hasn't built any recently. So I still don't know if it's branded, the one you picked for the best one to use, and keep yourself.

I've never know him to be a builder; he could have bought any computer he wanted. So it's branded. Because of its position on the floor (yes, I know, don't say it) I haven't crawled down there yet and get the brand.
    Last edited by foxy; August 30th, 2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    I've never know him to be a builder; he could have bought any computer he wanted. So it's branded. Because of its position on the floor (yes, I know, don't say it) I haven't crawled down there yet and get the brand.
    When you get able to crawl, bend, or whatever to get the brand name, you can go there and get the specs.

Thread Information