Finding hardware specs on wiped computers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding hardware specs on wiped computers

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    I was waiting to see if this was a branded computer. I see by your answer that he hasn't built any recently. So I still don't know if it's branded, the one you picked for the best one to use, and keep yourself.
    Update October 10--
    Just a recap--both machines, originally owned by my friend's late husband, had been completely wiped, then were given to me. One has better hardware than the other.

The 2 computers in question are now living in my apt. The better one, which probably had Win 10, has NO Windows label, brand name or model # label, so maybe it was custom built by the owner. There's a 3x3" clear panel on one of the sides, why doesn't sound especially commercial. . It has a tiny HD, about the size of a laptop HD, so would that be an SSD? I have to hook it up to get all the UEFI stats.
    Last edited by foxy; October 10th, 2019 at 02:28 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

It might actually be a laptop HD, or it could be an SSD. If you can't boot the machine, you may have to take the side panel off and check the label on it to find out what it is. It is possible that the BIOS might recognize it also and be able to give you at least some info on it. You could also try booting the PC using a live Linux disc or USB drive.

Didn't say I couldn't boot it. Last time I booted it into UEFI. Don't know how to do the USB or Linux.

Definitely a build.
    HD: https://www.pcmag.com/review/345726/ocz-trion-150-480gb (I use only about 100GB)
    PSU:https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-t...82E16817153166
    An extra fan
    DVD drive
    Case has room for 6 more HD, 4 more optical drives, but I know the owner didn't game.

I'm having 2nd thoughts about using this only for my work at one website.
    Last edited by foxy; October 10th, 2019 at 04:30 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to make a bootable Linux Mint disc or USB drive:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=240428

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1784

https://www.fosslinux.com/274/how-to...on-windows.htm

I'm having 2nd thoughts about using this only for my work at one website.
    It sounds like you could use that PC for just about anything you wanted.

Mobo: https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z77%20pro4/ with USB3
    Can't get at the CPU yet.
    Last edited by foxy; October 10th, 2019 at 05:10 PM.

>It sounds like you could use that PC for just about anything you wanted.

I'd like to install whatever's coming after Win 10.

Actually the thought of installing an OS again from scratch makes me want to stay in bed.

Last edited by foxy; October 13th, 2019 at 01:11 PM.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    Actually the thought of installing an OS again from scratch makes me want to stay in bed.
    Me too!!!

I have a new motherboard to replace the one that has defunct ram slots. But, I'm just getting my health in order, been a month lying in bed and can't drive yet because my legs are unsteady. I have no interest in changing this motherboard out of the case and adding the new board. Then having to either reinstall Windows 7 or go Windows 10.

Wait till you're feeling up to it, so you don't tear out all your hair. You probably have other functional machines to use meanwhile.

There's no particular hurry with mine, as I have 2 working machines. I call the 2nd one my hardware backup. And I can't access the original owner's MS account for his Win 10 # because he's deceased. Don't even ask me if he left notes... You have no concept of what his widow is having to dump from his 2 offices +garage. She might have even dumped his original W10 CD. And then there's their home in Florida...
    Last edited by foxy; October 14th, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    The only other machine I have is my tablet. But this one works fine on 16GB of ram for what I do. Photo processing, and check websites I am moderator on. But I'd like take advantage of the cheap DDR3 ram now.

Thread Information