Excel errors

Thread: Excel errors

Excel errors

I have an Excel file that I am trying to send to a friend who has a mac. When he opens it, it gives him REF! errors. It has multiple tabs with cells that reference other tabs in that spreadsheet. My file has no errors, but his does. I wasn't sure if it was something related to a PC reading from a mac or the tab issue.

One of the errors he gets is: "We found a problem with some content in (file name). Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the sourse of the is workbook, click yes."
    Then says "Excel was unable to open the file repairing or removing the unreadable content."
    Then "The XML file repair result to (file name).xml cannot be opened because there is no available data view (XSLT)."

When I open the file I do get a Security Alert - Data Connection. Data connections have been blocked... Then it lists the file path of the file that is open.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Did you Google the security alert message and find articles like:
    http://excel.bigresource.com/Excel-2...e--dZLUGO.html
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

File, Options, Trust Center, click on Trust Center Settings button, Protected View, uncheck boxes as needed. Note that this will change the settings for ALL Excel files.

I never got any issues on my end, but the person I was sending it to. He did the above, but still issues. I resent the file as an xls (vs xlsx) and it did the trick!
    I'm not sure whether it was based on his version of Excel or that he has a Mac.

xml files lime .xlsm workbooks can have various issues when sent via e-mail, especially when being transferred to machines using different operating systems. The .xls solution can help to prevent these issues. Making it into a .zip file might also work.

Thread Information