Beep on boot

Thread: Beep on boot

Beep on boot

What ho one and all,

We have a W7 computer that we only use for TV catch-up and running DVD movies. A TV is plugged in, to use as the monitor (for some reason, we do not get a good aerial TV picture, streaming from the internet is sooo much better!)

All has been fine for a few years, until a couple of weeks ago. Switch on the computer and there will be a couple of beeps, and nothing happens. Blank screen but the computer power light is on. Turn it off, then on again and it all works fine, the screen come to life.

I don't know what has caused this to happen, but I also don't know how to cure it. I have been into the BIOS but can see nothing that has change, nor any error log.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

What is the make/model of the motherboard? Or the computer if it's store bought. The exact number of beeps, sequence and length (long beep, short beep) is important to be able to determine the possible problem.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

It's a Dell Optiplex 780 with W7 Pro.

Based upon your reply, i have just Googled and found a Dell page with all the beep codes. Unfortunately, they are more complex than what we get. We just have two beeps, nothing else.
    Last edited by Rekusu; July 24th, 2019 at 10:19 AM.

From what I have seen, 2 beeps would indicate a RAM memory issue. You can try reseating the RAM modules to see if that fixes the issue.

https://www.dell.com/community/Deskt...r/td-p/4465284

I would try re-seating the RAM. Also try just one stick at a time to see if it happens with just one of them but not the other.

EDIT:.. What he said LOL

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Just done that, and unfortunately, still 2 beeps. But what is strange, when it happens, the screen stays blank. Turn off, turn on and everything is hunky dory.

Surely if badly seated RAM, it would beep every time?

If it always boots on the second try, then some other possibilities might be the following:

BIOS battery is failing and settings are going back to defaults. Not likely, but possible. Make sure the BIOS settings are correct for the CPU and memory installed.

Memory error on initial bootup. Try running some memory diagnostics to test the memory.

Did you try booting with one memory module installed?

It could also be a failing memory controller on the motherboard. If it is an antique system, check for bad capacitors on the motherboard.

Another option of course, is to leave it running 24/7.

JDC2000; yep, you were correct. When it last beeped, and froze, I checked the lights. 1,2,3 indicate battery. So have replaced it and all appears to be fine now.

However, I don't know much about changing batteries, but apart from having to update the date / time, virtually all the bookmarks informed me that the certificate was out of date. Not sure how I update them, or even if I have to do anything and it will all clear itself in due course?

I assume the certificates are out of date because once the battery is removed, the computer defaults to the build time / date, which was around ten years ago. Is that a correct assumption?

Toodle pip and thanks.

Yes, after changing the battery you will need to change the system date and time or else you will get all kinds of errors.

Thread Information