[RESOLVED] Installing Wacom Tablet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installing Wacom Tablet

Resolved [RESOLVED] Installing Wacom Tablet

What ho one and all,

For the last X years, I have been using a Wacom Graphire 4 (CTE640) tablet for photo editing on my XP computer. No issues whatsoever.

Today, the tablet has stopped working; or more specifically, the USB connection is live but the pen does nothing. Tired a newer pen, and that at least does draw a box, but clicking does nothing. Ran a Sys Restore from a few days ago but no luck.

So figured, reinstall from the original CD, only to receive a message saying the there is another pen tablet installed. Run Revo Uninstaller to remove whatever can be found. Still the same message. Ran a RegEdit search, looking for any instances of Wacom and deleted a few. Searched Doc and Setting and removed a couple of either Pen or Wacom folders.

And still the same message. Have found a few web sites with drivers for Graphire 4 listed but they don't download.

So I am stuck and don't know how to find the other installed pen driver(s.) I do have a MS Trackball mouse and my IBM UltraNav keyboard has both a small track pad and IBM red button, both of what are working. But the always did!

What's next?

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

It's possible that after ten years the USB connector(s) have become corroded. I'd unplug and plug it in a few times to see if that helps.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Good call and thanks. Wish I had thought of that before uninstalling it and removing everything Wacom related that I could find.

Problem now is that when I run the installation disk, a message appears that say there is another pen driver that has to be removed before I can install the Wacom. As mentioned above, those are the other 'mouse' drivers' and none of then is a pen. But the Keyboard tracker and nipple install when the kb is installed. And the MS Trackball is separate. As I recall, I had the kb up and running, then moved from a conventional mouse to the MS Trackball, and as that was nt so good for photo editing, bought the Wacom. Don't recall having an issue with installing it.

Have you looked in device manager for other instances of the pen driver?

Open the “Run” dialog box by pressing and holding the Windows key, then press the R key (“Run”).
    Type devmgmt.msc Click OK .

uninstall it/them if you find any and start from scratch with a new install.

Again, thanks. I did not try that method, but did manage to finally reinstall the Wacom files. No luck!

So took the sledge hammer approach and ran Acronis True Image from a image file created two months ago, when it was all working. Still not luck!

Opened up the tablet to see what is what and because it is all solid state, can see nothing that can have caused the tablet not to work. But here is the strange thing; the original pen, which until it stopped, was not showing any signs of strange behaviour, does not register on the screen. But a few years ago, I bought another pen (because the rubber on the original was wearing out and it looked gungy), and this one does actually show an arrow on-screen that moves around, and I can draw a 'box (in dotted line) but nothing clicks.

Just noticed another strange 'thing.' The tablet USB blue light is on, as it always is, and with the original pen, it just stays on (as it always has.) But with the newer pen, when the pen is near the tablet, the light goes green. So something is working, but not how it was.

Bummer!

ran Acronis True Image from a image file created two months ago, when it was all working. Still not luck!
    Then it appears to be hardware related. Are the USB cables switchable? or are they hardwired into the pad? Try another if you can. Can you try the pad/pen on another computer? That would narrow down whether it's the pad/pens or the laptop. I suspect the laptop.

The cable is hard-wired to the tablet.

FYI, it is a desktop, not laptop, but that should not make any difference. Yes, the next plan is to install it to a W7 computer that we use exclusively for watching movies.

As I said above, the newer (only bought as a back-up from when the original pens finally dies!) causes the tablet LED to glow green, which is has never done in the past. The the newer pen, although allowing the arrow to move around the screen, does not allow clicking on anything.

Try switching USB ports if you haven't already .

Must admit, I did plug the USB into a port on the monitor and although the tablet power light came on, the pen still did not work.

Have just spent the last 30 mins, trying to remove everything Wacom / Pen / tablet related for D&S / Program files / reg. Tried to reinstall the drivers from the original disk and still I receiver the 'useful' message that there is another pen driver installed that must be removed first. No indication of what or where so don't know where to look.

Have tried all the usual uninstall routines; Add/Remove programs, Revo Uninstall, but for Wacom do not want the user to remove their software so there appears to be nothing listed under Wacom!

In Device Manager, there are plenty of entries under Mice and other pointing devices and Human Interface Devices. (HID Human compliant consumer device; compliant device; HID complaint mouse; USB Human interface device) but and MS Trackball. All list the driver as MS, no mention of Wacom. The only other USB is the Thinkpad/Travel keyboard with associated pointing devices (trackpad and red button) and that is correctly listed as Lenovo.

Have yet to try in another computer, but need a bit more time.

I'm guessing but maybe the reason I receive 'another pen driver is installed and must be removed' is because within Windows/Sys32, both Dll Cache and Drivers folders, is the file, Wacompen.sys. But how do I delete it from both folders? Have tired to gain permission and appear to have done so; the file seems to delete, run the tablet install again, and still told about the other pen. Return to dll cache and drivers, and Wacompen.sys still there!
    Last edited by Rekusu; July 20th, 2019 at 08:21 AM.

Been to this site https://www.wacom.com/en-gb/support/...upport/drivers to get the driver (in case it is different to my disk!), but clicking the link produces absolutely zilch, nothing,

Since you did an image replacement to a point back in time when it was working properly and it still didn't work I would not expect any software fixes or driver installs to make any difference from here on. Next step is to see if the pen setup works on another computer to narrow down the hardware problem.

Also worth noting is the newest driver that would work in XP is an older version from 2016.. Driver 6.3.16-2 (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, & 10) - 78.4 MB since new versions no longer support XP

Thanks for the latest driver number. Managed to download it but when trying to install, receive a 'Application error / exception unknown software exception' error message. Really useful!

Tried to install on a W7 machine from my original disk to check the tablet, but again, 'incompatible application' message. I though W7 could run older software in some kind of 'compatibility mode?'

Trying to edit photos in PhotoShop with a trackball mouse is most difficult. Guess is I replace the tablet, I will then have newer tablet / XP compatibility issues.

I though W7 could run older software in some kind of 'compatibility mode?

You'd need to install it using compatibility mode...

http://pearsonsupport.helpserve.com/...e-in-windows-7

Have you had a look at Wacom's support page? Looks fairly detailed.. perhaps your issue can be found there.

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support

Not significantly further forward, but this evening, I have managed to un-assemble the pen and suspect that I may have found the problem. Tomorrow will tell!

Both the nib and the eraser end have a coil around them which obviously sets up some kind of weak electrical field. On the nib end, one of the wires is no longer attached, and on the eraser end, both wire are no attached.

Tomorrow, I will try a bit of gentle soldering and post back the result.

But why the driver for the newer pen is not working beast me! Managed to finally install an older driver; received the message that the driver was installed, but when I hit Wacom Preference in either Control Panel or from the start menu shortcut, a message saying that a 'supported tablet was not found on the system.'

Like the Terminator, my mouse (pen and tablet) are back!

I re-soldered the three loose wires and hey presto, she is is running. To overcome the software installation issue, just restored from a two month old image.

The rubber 'grip' around the pen is looking a bit sorry now, but at least I don't have to buy new, as there is almost nothing that will work with XP any longer.

Thread Information