Disk Management

Thread: Disk Management

Question Disk Management

I purchased an HP Pavilion for my guest room about a year ago. It was basically just plug and play after downloading a couple of updates. Today, Windows attempted an update and said there was insufficient disk space. When I checked "This PC" I noticed that drive "C" is almost full. Drive "D" however is empty. I went to disk management and it says that "C" is only 119 GB and has used 118GB. "D" on the other hand, is 931GB and used 9.87GB. On my office computer is "C" has plenty of space while "D" is low on space.

I have no idea why this is happening as I though "D" was for System Files. Is there a way to re-allocate the space from one drive to another?

C: is usually the drive where Windows is installed, aka the System Files. Why did you think D was for System Files?

The first thing you should do is make a backup of your data. I'm guessing you have a lot of personal data in C:. If possible, I'd also make an image backup of your C: drive.

You cannot just resize C: from Windows Disk Management. You need to use a third party partition tool like Minitool.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

Minitool instructions: https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/

After you install Minitool, you need to extend C:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help...partition.html
    1. Choose the C: drive and click Extend Partition
    2. Choose "Take Free Space from" D: (use the slider to adjust the size)
    3. Click Apply

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe system files was the wrong term. But a computer setup usually wants you to "partition" the drive. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll get on it right away.

But a computer setup usually wants you to "partition" the drive.
    A partition is a disk volume like the C: drive, so you need at least one partition. Partitions are NOT the walls between volumes.

K, I downloaded the Minitool and followed your instructions. The problem is the "D" drive is not an option under "Take Free Space From" only Windows EB Tools come up and its very little space.

It says I have 2 disks. Disk 1 has *: FAT32 EFI System Partition Active & System (260MB Capacity), *: Other Reserved Partition (16MB Capacity), C:\Windows NTFS Data Partition Boot (Capacity)118GB, *: Windows RE Tools NTFS Recovery Partition.

Disk 2 has : Data NTFS Data Partition (9.87 GB Capacity and *: Unallocated (907.27GB)

I'm just a user, but it looks to me as if the Unallocated is waiting to be assigned to a drive. Any ideas?

Is D: a separate physical hard drive? You can't add space from a different physical hard drive.
    The way you described it, it sounded like C: and D: were on the same drive.
    Post a screenshot so we know exactly what we are dealing with.

You could extend the D: drive to take up the unallocated space. After that you can move some data off of C: and onto D:. That's about the best you can do unless you want to replace the C: hard drive with the D: hard drive.

Well, I had no idea there were 2 drives in that PC. I've extended the D: to take up the allocated space and move my Documents and Pictures to D. That frees up enough space to download the Windows update. Thanks for the help.

Ok cool. We can only go by the info you give us. It's important to give us the correct details in order to get a proper diagnosis and fix.

Thread Information