[RESOLVED] Firefox update 60.7.2

Thread: [RESOLVED] Firefox update 60.7.2

Resolved [RESOLVED] Firefox update 60.7.2

I use FF 52.9ESR, to keep my extensions. I'm referring the the closed thread
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...65#post1547465

Is 60.7.2 a Quantum?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Is 60.7.2 a Quantum?
    Yes, 60.7.2 is based on Quantum. Anything 57 and higher is Quantum-based.

Thanks.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are using 64-bit Windows, you could try Waterfox. It's based on FF56 (last version before Quantum). They even have a portable version.
    https://www.waterfox.net/releases/

Is Waterfox keeping up security updates? Is it being developed by some fly-by-night company? Otherwise it would become no safer than what I have.

Can I just copy the contents of my profile over to Waterfox?
    Last edited by foxy; June 22nd, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Did you go to the link I posted? It would be more secure than running FF 52.x at this point. They are doing security updates, but I don't think they finished the patch for the second zero-day yet. They take a little while to apply the patches after Mozilla releases it.

Can I just copy the contents of my profile over to Waterfox?
    Yes, you can import the profile from your existing Firefox.

https://www.trishtech.com/2018/09/ho...into-waterfox/

I'd never heard of Waterfox before. I downloaded and installed it yesterday to see what it's like and it works just fine. It imported all my bookmarks and extensions from my Firefox browser during setup. Worked perfectly. I had to go into extensions and manually enable the ones I still wanted to use.

It's certainly faster loading and running than my pre-Quantum ESR Firefox browser which I never really use anymore since I adopted Vivaldi browser a number of months ago.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I've been running it for a while now. It's basically FF56 x64 without telemetry and other unnecessary stuff. It is updated regularly, usually a week or two after the new version of FF comes out. 56.2.11 includes the first zero-day patch. Still waiting for them to include the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Did you go to the link I posted? It would be more secure than running FF 52.x at this point. They are doing security updates, but I don't think they finished the patch for the second zero-day yet. They take a little while to apply the patches after Mozilla releases it.
    Yes, you can import the profile from your existing Firefox.
    https://www.trishtech.com/2018/09/ho...into-waterfox/
    Yes, I D/L the regular and the portable. I'm accustomed to instant support when I need it. They run the whole show or they have a whole company? And the only support is on Reddit? I've been using Mozillazine since Firefox 2.

Does SeaMonkey have more people behind it? And it's supported on Mozillazine.
    Last edited by foxy; June 23rd, 2019 at 11:30 AM.

I'm not sure how big the WF team is, but it's been around since 2011. Looks like the Reddit support is it. Many issues in WF would be the same for FF, so the fixes would probably be the same too.

I'm not a Seamonkey user, but it hasn't been updated since July 27, 2018. It seems like they've had major problems making the next version.
    https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/

If you rely on a high level of support, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Even if you have Mozillazine support, that doesn't change the fact that 52.9x is no longer being patched.

I'm disappointed about SeaMonkey. It's not exactly a flash-in-the-pan. That settles it, and I'm backing up the current state of my profile in case I have to go back.

::runs off to play and splash around with Waterfox::

I'll start a new thread with this for WF.

Thread Information