Need Wireless Bridge Route for Wired Network in Basement... FOR IDIOTS

Thread: Need Wireless Bridge Route for Wired Network in Basement... FOR IDIOTS

Need Wireless Bridge Route for Wired Network in Basement... FOR IDIOTS

Need to setup a wired network in basement of office building.

First, don't know if the wireless range will reach basement.

I am aware of DD-WRT but more complicated than I'd like.

years ago I had a "white" Netgear (I think) router working as a bridge however I had to set the base to a fixed IP address that I did not want to do.

Any no-brain idiot-compatible ways of doing this?

More information may be needed on the actual building setup for us to be of any help.

Things to check:

Try connecting a laptop to the existing wireless network from various areas in the building basement. That will tell you if you will be able to reliably connect a wired network in the basement to the existing wireless network.

Also, it would be a good idea to check to see how difficult it would be to run one network cable from the existing building wired network (or the router) to the basement. If you can do that without too much difficulty, you could then connect the basement wired network to the rest of the building's network with much more reliability and better speed.

There is a way to run a wire but it would be daunting task involving getting up into drop ceiling and then finding vertical utility conduit to basement furnace room, then another 50-100' or running.

Don't have a laptop, but going to try cell phone - if that works then anything else should. Will do that today.

Will get the model number of that router I did get to work although fixed IP's.

I am getting enough WiFi in the basement for my Galaxy S4 cell phone so the signal is adequate.

What WiFi router is currently in use in the building - Make and Model?

I'll have to get that. But I cannot make any changes to setup.

THIS CHANGES THINGS IMPORTANT POINT: I only need to connect 1 PC at a time but cannot use USB wireless adapter since cannot download drivers since running Windows XP - I need "LAN to wireless adapter" - do not actually need a network in the basement.

...which leads the question: If I have a LAN to wireless adapter, could I connect it's LAN to a switch and be in business?
    Last edited by MrCreosote; May 16th, 2019 at 06:18 PM.

You will need drivers regardless of what type of wireless adapter you get, assuming that you do not already have one available. However, just because you are using Windows XP does not mean that you can't download and install drivers. Also, some adapters may be recognized by XP and there may be drivers already built into Windows XP for them.

Possibly useful links:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/59/

https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Ultra-1.../dp/B00762YNMG

Lots of other options are likely available for the wireless adapter.

Thread Information