[RESOLVED] running Disk Cleanup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] running Disk Cleanup

Resolved [RESOLVED] running Disk Cleanup

When running Disk Cleanup, I see it lists a backup folder of SP 1. And where is that folder? Can it be used for something? I'm not short of space, so that's not an issue.
    Last edited by foxy; May 9th, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I'm assuming you mean "Service Pack Backup Files". The files would be in the C:\Windows\Winsxs folder, along with other Windows Updates files.

Unless you are planning to roll back out of SP1, there is no reason to keep it.

thanks. It's 17GB, 88,000 files. It seems to me that backups and antimalware programs would run faster without them. But why would a bunch of them have dates from the past week?
    Last edited by foxy; May 11th, 2019 at 01:55 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend to test the operating system with service pack at least for a few days before you make the decision to delete the backups. Many reports say that impatient users may create an image of their system partition instead that they can use to restore the system if the need arises to uninstall the service pack after the backup data has been removed from the system.

C:\Windows\Winsxs isn't just the SP1 files. It contains old Windows Updates files as well. SP1 was released in 2010, so I highly doubt you'd want to roll it back.

https://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how...indows-7-or-8/

Quote Originally Posted by Sockdolager View Post
    I recommend to test the operating system with service pack at least for a few days before you make the decision to delete the backups. Many reports say that impatient users may create an image of their system partition instead that they can use to restore the system if the need arises to uninstall the service pack after the backup data has been removed from the system.
    I just imaged the entire disk Wednesday.

Ran the cleanup, rebooted, all the files are still there. Tried deleting one folder and it tells me I don't have permission. I "Took ownership" already. Do I need a command in the Elevated Command Prompt?
    Last edited by foxy; May 11th, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

Tip: Boot and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB and you can delete whatever you like:

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done testing, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive.

Note: Be careful. It is quite easy to delete something that should not have been deleted. Might want to make a backup first: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I don't know how to run Linux or how to dual-boot. That seems like a long task just to empty a folder. I think must be an easier way. As for the backup, see my post #6.
    Last edited by foxy; May 11th, 2019 at 03:07 PM.

You should log in as an administrator when you run the disk cleanup. If not, you'll see a "Clean up system files" button, but that's about it. You don't need to take ownership or run commands.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...7-sp1-clients/

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post

I don't know how to run Linux or how to dual-boot.
    No need to dual-boot. Simply boot and run Linux from a flash drive (or CD). Then when done, remove it and reboot from your hard drive as you normally would.

These days many distros of Linux, (especially Zorin OS), are as easy to use as Windows.

I've never tried deleting those files manually, so I can't predict the results. If you'd rather go that route, that's your call.

This is how I usually do it:
    Right-click on C: drive, and click Properties
    Click "Disk Cleanup"
    (Wait while disk is scanned)

Make sure that Windows Update Cleanup is checked (and/or Service Pack Backup Files)

*If Windows Update Cleanup is NOT listed, click "Clean up system files"
    (Wait while disk is scanned again)

Click OK
    Click "Delete Files"
    (Wait while disk is cleaned)

Close all windows, and restart the computer
    (You'll see Configuring Windows updates, and then Cleaning up...)

That's what I've always done. Last time, a few months ago, after not having run it to clean up system files for a couple of years it took an hour to complete and reboot and that's on an SSD so an HDD could take quite some time. Got rid of 2+ gigs of old files though.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I am an Admin, and I already have that Update and the checkmark for "Service Pack Backup Files." I did that 3 times, rebooted each time, cleanup says it removed all but 640MB, but actually it removed only 7 files.

Some files said they're open and can't delete, some said they need permission from me. Unlocker took most out on the next reboot.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by foxy; May 12th, 2019 at 12:37 AM.

An addendum: Windows wouldn't load the next morning, Startup Repair didn't work. I had to use System Restore to a date before removing the files. There's something more than backups and updates in that folder,

Thread Information