SCANNERS: Cheapest decent used for documents - have to archive small office.

Thread: SCANNERS: Cheapest decent used for documents - have to archive small office.

SCANNERS: Cheapest decent used for documents - have to archive small office.

My thoughts are the Fujitsu ix500 would be a great choice, but I don't want to spend $300-400 for a used one that probably doesn't have the Full Adobe disc with it.

Most scanning will be pages from 3-ring notebooks, duplex.

Might use at home to archive bills and receipts which can vary in size.

Speed would be nice (!) but I'm really concerned about jamming and OCR to PDF quality.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Have read the IX1500 is not as good as the IX500.

However, have found the Fujitsu S510 which is slow (18ppm) but cheap used. Came with Acrobat 8.

NOTE: The irony is that the really good models can bring huge amounts of money used so here is no free lunch I suppose.
    Last edited by MrCreosote; April 30th, 2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: addition

BETTER QUESTION: What was considered the popular best choice document scanner before the Fujitsu ix500?

Epson WorkForce Pro GT-S50 is a used candidate. NO!

First true candidate: CANON DR-C125

The auto features: skew, resolution, rotation are great

Appears to scan mis-oriented receipts etc.

Double feed resume? don't know yet, but the price around $100 is looking good.
    Last edited by MrCreosote; April 30th, 2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: update

Canon, Epson, or Fujitsu are all good brands.

There are newer Epson units that may be in your price range:

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/...r/p/B11B228201

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/.../p/B11B228201R

https://www.pcmag.com/review/352994/...cument-scanner

PC Mag Editors Choice: Brother ADS-2700W

Looked like a winner but ran across the manual and under "Unacceptable Documents" was Loose Leaf Paper!

No paper with holes in it. Seriously? I have to archive 3-ring binders.

No one mentioned this limitation. Now I'm wondering how many of these other "great" scanners cannot do loose leaf paper?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    No paper with holes in it. Seriously? I have to archive 3-ring binders.
    You buy a three ring hole punch and make your own three ring holes. They're available in any office supply store and they're cheap. I have one and have used it extensively for years to make my own three ring holes to archive papers.
    If you're too lazy to do that, there are places to go that will do it for you.

I think the concern is that running pages with binder holes in them through the scanner will cause jams. That is certainly possible, depending on where parts of the feed mechanism are located in relation to the holes in the pages, or if the holes have tears or bends that might cause snagging. There may be some scanners that have a feed system that is not subject to this issue, but they will likely be slower and more expensive.

Called Brother about the Loose Leaf Paper - they mean specifically that crappy, thin, paper with lines. 20# copy paper 3-hole punched is OK.

Thing that bothers me is PC Mag said the one they tested had outstanding OCR:

"Not only is the Brother ADS-2700W accurate for a low-volume document scanner, it's one of the most accurate desktop scanners we've tested, including the much more expensive networkable models, such as the four-to-five times costlier Canon ImageFormula ScanFront 400$1,487.87 at Amazon."

But then they keep changing the packaged software so what you get in 2019 is probably not what came in 2017 - and newer never always better. Unfortunately...

NOTE: Have to find which scanner had a process to ignore back side print bleed through which could really be a problem.

MORE DESIRABLE FEATURES:

• SCAN to USB Stick is a feature I'd like a lot - wouldn't need a PC.
    • OCR Scanner? Models with OCR built in. OCR vs DOCUMENT scanner?
    • Brand that will allow download of software package supplied when originally purchased - buying used scanner from companies that DO NOT allow this is problematic - especially if you don't have Adobe Acrobat
    Last edited by MrCreosote; May 3rd, 2019 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCreosote View Post
    MORE DESIRABLE FEATURES:

• SCAN to USB Stick is a feature I'd like a lot - wouldn't need a PC.
    • OCR Scanner? Models with OCR built in. OCR vs DOCUMENT scanner?
    • Brand that will allow download of software package supplied when originally purchased - buying used scanner from companies that DO NOT allow this is problematic - especially if you don't have Adobe Acrobat
    I think your going to have a hard time finding a scanner that will do all that, that you want. Most scanners have come with some kind of OCR software, I know Epson does, but as to scanning directly to a USB stick, I know they don't do that. I have an Epson scanner so I know what it can and can't do.
    I also have a Brother scanner but it doesn't scan to a USB stick either, and it too came with OCR software.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    I think your going to have a hard time finding a scanner that will do all that, that you want. Most scanners have come with some kind of OCR software, I know Epson does, but as to scanning directly to a USB stick, I know they don't do that. I have an Epson scanner so I know what it can and can't do.
    I also have a Brother scanner but it doesn't scan to a USB stick either, and it too came with OCR software.
    The Brother ADS-2700W will scan to USB flash drive. It is $309 @ Best Buy internet, store will match. It was a PC Mag Editors Choice.

However, the Epson WorkForce ES-400 is $249 at Office Max. No scan to USB

QUESTION: Are all the features like deskew, automatic resolution, blank page skip, bleed through prevention, etc. done by the software?

Trying to cover the Scan to Excel base to see if that is worth the effort - again, I think this will be a feature of the software and not the scanner? Some of these scanners have Standard and Deluxe software bundles.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCreosote View Post
    QUESTION: Are all the features like deskew, automatic resolution, blank page skip, bleed through prevention, etc. done by the software?

Trying to cover the Scan to Excel base to see if that is worth the effort - again, I think this will be a feature of the software and not the scanner? Some of these scanners have Standard and Deluxe software bundles.
    I don't know how to answer that question because I've never used the software that came with the brother that you mentioned. The only one who would know that, is the company who owns the printer. Or the software.

Thread Information