Internet speed is slow

Thread: Internet speed is slow

Internet speed is slow

I just paid 3 months ago extra to get 50 mbs of internet speed (download). The internet on my computer has been sluggish and slow. So I called the provider RCN to complain. The tech told me my wi-fi was going in and out. I told him I thought I needed a new router & modem, since this was 4 years old. He sort of agreed, but wanted to sell me more speed. I said nope, I want to buy buy a new router & modem. He said I needed a 24 channel download modem, by Arris or Netgear. Whatever.
    Anywho, I tested the speed this a.m. and it reads: download 23.8 and upload 10.5. I'm paying for 50 download, so that tells me it's slow. Need your opinion -- 1) should I get a 24 channel modem; or should I get a wifi booster?

If you can, hook up a computer directly to the modem/router with a cable and do a speed test.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

What are the make/model of your current modem and router?

Make and Model:
    Arris Modem TM822
    Router - Cisco/Linksys E1200
    Is there anything faster?
    Is there a speed booster I can get?

Thanks.

Okay, I just called Cisco and ordered a "faster" router. I'm holding off on the modem to see if the router works. The sales tech told me this router should handle 50mbs. It's EA8300. He tried to sell me a modem, but I'm going to try the router first and then if that doesn't work, buy a modem. He recommended the CM3024 ($199). Is anybody familiar with these brands & models?

The Linksys E1200 should be capable of 300 MBPS according to the specs. The Arris TM822 is rated the same.

Arris Modem TM822 is easily capable up to 50Mbps, so that should be fine.

Did you try a wired connection or not? If you have a weak wireless signal, that would affect your speeds.

Okay, I just called Cisco and ordered a "faster" router. I'm holding off on the modem to see if the router works. The sales tech told me this router should handle 50mbs. It's EA8300.
    I'm assuming you mean a Linksys EA8300 router. FYI, Belkin owns Linksys now, not Cisco.

I would not bother with a wireless booster. If you are going to buy anything, you should replace that router first.

$200 sounds pretty steep for a 24x8 modem. Anyway, your 8x4 should be capable of 50Mbps.

@Midnyte: With Discounts it the router cost about $140. Anywho, I'm going to test the router. The speed is ridiculously slow and the RCN rep was trying to get me to buy more speed. I went from 25mbs to 50mbs and the speed is the same. Do the providers PURPOSELY slow your speed down to get you to upgrade?

He recommended the CM3024 ($199).
    You stated the price of the modem. $200 is high for the modem. $140 is about right for the router.

As fink and I suggested, try connecting to the modem or router with a WIRED connection. If the speed increases, then it could be an issue with your wireless signal strength.

See my thread in Hardware about the computer's performance. I wonder if that is effecting the internet speed?

I'm assuming you mean this thread. Post the link next time. I don't see anything that would that would affect the network.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...71#post1546571

Did you test with a wired connection yet? A weak wireless signal would affect your speed.

Update: I got the newer router and the speed is much better. Speed test = 55 mbs/10mbs

Thread Information