[RESOLVED] Hidden Admin account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hidden Admin account

Resolved [RESOLVED] Hidden Admin account

A double whammy, first computer in my sig:

1-- Two programs I've tried installing, one needed for work, give me this exact error message. Didn't know there was a pattern till the 2nd program did it. (see image)

So I decided to install them with the Hidden Admin, however

2--When I switch to my Hidden Admin user, the desktop is black with only the cursor. Nothing works except Ctl+alt+del. I've found numerous answers online but not for my specific combo of circumstances.

This has been almost since I bought this computer, about 2.5 years ago, so Sys Restore isn't an option. And I did a Repair Install a few months ago, which did nothing..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by foxy; April 23rd, 2019 at 01:44 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I assume that the attached image is the error you get when you try to install while logged in to your regular account. Have you checked to make sure that the file in question actually exists at that path? What are the programs you are trying to install? That path looks like a folder generated by an installer that unzips files to that path.

You could try copying the files from that folder to a C:\Temp folder.

Right click on the install files and select RUN AS ADMIN.

You'll be prompted for the admins name and password.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Right click on the install files and select RUN AS ADMIN.

You'll be prompted for the admins name and password.
    Did that already, thanks. And there is no PW, so it doesn't prompt.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jdc--

The program I need for work is InquisitWebPlayer. I've just been skipping tasks involving that program.

https://www.millisecond.com/download/inquisitweb5.aspx

It's supposed to install in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\MillisecondSoftware. It appears in that folder when I start installing, but then there's a message "Please Wait while Windows configures InquisitWebPlayer5." But it never finishes. When I cancel, the msi file disappears. There's nothing in Windows Temp.

I fooled it by copying the msi file to the desktop, then putting it into Windows\Temp, but I get a message "Source file not found:C\Windows\temp\IQWebPlayersetup1.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

This has happened with both v4 and v5, so I think it's not just a corrupt installer.

The other program was something not vital, last week, and I don't remember what it was, except that the error message also involved an msi file with an identical error, except for the folder location.
    Last edited by foxy; April 23rd, 2019 at 08:30 AM.

The Uninstaller/Installer fixer doesn't list my program, then sends me to the MS site for solutions.

The 3rd option produces a box called "Windows Installer v 5.0.7601.124195" with a bunch of DOS commands.

Onward, how do I get the Hidden Admin account to work?

If you are getting the black screen of nothing when you log in using the hidden Admin account, that likely means that the user profile for it is corrupted. The only fix for that is likely a complete reinstall of Windows, which you don't want to do. You could try logging in to that account in Safe Mode to see if it you can get a desktop display that way.

Safe Mode didn't work. Profile must be very delicate. I've used it maybe twice.

But I did get IQPlayer to install in my other computer.

What happened when you tried to log in to the hidden Admin user account in Safe Mode? Same black screen of nothing?

If you could not IQPlayer and your other program to install on this system, chances are you will have trouble installing anything else that uses a Windows Installer .msi file also.

Re:Hidden Admin. Same black screen. Why can't I disable it, the re-enable it it? It didn't have a desktop till I made one.

Re:msi. It installed on my other machine, also win7, so it's not tragic. One of the reasons I have 2 machines with almost identical programs. I think Win Update has screwed with this machine, and I've stopped it. I'm meeting many online users who are not doing the updates.
    Last edited by foxy; April 23rd, 2019 at 08:22 PM.

You an try disabling and then re-enabling the hidden Admin account, but my guess is that it won't accomplish anything.

Links:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...r-account.aspx

https://www.recoverywindowspassword....n-windows.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/

Elevated command prompt:

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Prize-02>net user administrator /active:no
    The user name could not be found.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2221."

did that "The user name could not be found."

But it's on the Welcome screen next to my account, with the funny name and avatar I gave it.

If you add up all the money I've spent on computing in 23 years, compared to how much they earned for me, there will be a very deep deficit of many thousands of $. Some day they'll all go through my 6th floor window. I once threw one down the garbage compactor chute from the 6th floor. Had to retrieve it because the compactor couldn't handle it. The dumpster is the proper place.
    Last edited by foxy; April 26th, 2019 at 04:55 PM.

re-enabling:

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Prize-02>net user administrator /active:yes
    The user name could not be found.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2221.

C:\Users\Prize-02>"

You're right

Well, that explains part of the issue. What users show up in Control Panel, User Accounts, Manage another account?

Note: You have to right-click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator for that net user command to work.

Thread Information