[RESOLVED] Snipping Tool

Thread: [RESOLVED] Snipping Tool

Resolved [RESOLVED] Snipping Tool

I've been using FoxArc Screen Capture for years, but it does only rectangular captures. So I tried the Win 7 Snipping Tool. It snips, and the graphic is captured by my clipboard program, but when I try "File>save as," I don't get a "Save as" dialog. I would have to paste it into Irfanview, my image editor, then do "Save as." Seeing that Snipping Tool is celebrating its 10th birthday, it should have been perfected by now.
    Last edited by foxy; April 10th, 2019 at 10:42 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

The Snipping Tool on my Windows 7 computers does have a File, Save As option. Try Control+S.

Instead of enhancing it, Microsoft is dumping it in Windows 10 (not 7) for a "new" tool with Bling-Bling and eye-candy that is designed to send your screen captures to the "cloud". I will probably have to use a third-party tool on Windows 10.

Another reason not to move to 10.
    It has File>Save as, but there's no dialog box to name it and save it. I would like to have a capture program that does freehand snips, so I'll have to go searching

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has File>Save as, but there's no dialog box to name it and save it.
    That would be strange. How would you be able to save the snip with no dialog box? All of my Windows 7 computers show the dialog box asking for file name, location and type when I click Save As in the Snipping Tool.

That was my point. And I have it on both machines, and the Gateway hasn't had time to acquire bugs. The program is set to self-destruct if you like it too much. The last thing to go will be the name
    S
    n
    i
    p
    p

You could try uninstalling the Snipping Tool and reinstalling it:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...-snipping-tool

Or, the following command:
    sfc /scannow

First didn't work, scannow won't run. But the ST does allow me to email a snip, which is useful.

What happens when you try to run the System File Checker?

Won't run. I get a 1-second flash of DOS, then it closes. I already did a System Repair a few months ago, and I'm not doing it again.
    I've been looking at other screen-capture programs.

Try it this way:

Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

Then, type in sfc /scannow into the Command Prompt window. If you get an error, the window should not close and you will be able to see what it is. Post that here.

OK, ran from Elevated Command Prompt. "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I'm not going to pursue this for such an insignificant program. I've installed DuckCapture.

OK, the only other thing that I can think of is that the Save As window is popping up UNDER some other window, or off-screen where you can't see it. As long as your replacement is working, you can just use that.

error dupe
    Last edited by foxy; April 13th, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

It's not hidden, but it does copy the snip to my clipboard program. If I always needed Windows to be bug-free, I'd never get anything done. Thanks for your time.

Screenpic is priceless. It copied the clip to your clipboard and to Imgur photohosting, and gives you the URL, ready to post in a forum.

Thread Information