[RESOLVED] Setting up a new installation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Setting up a new installation

Resolved [RESOLVED] Setting up a new installation

This relates back to a problem I had a few months ago. Win7 was screwed up in the Gateway (see my sig,) and I finally decided to do a fresh reinstall, keeping the data partition as is. But waiting 2 months has left me without some of your tips.

Here's what I have:

HP (this one)
    --C Programs and System
    --D Data

Gateway
    --C fresh install of Win 7, Classic Shell, Programs will follow
    --D Data (both data drives are identical)

Because I had problems networking the previous installation, is it wiser to use the same UserID on both machines?
    Any other caveats before I do settings?
    Wasn't there something about calling it a Work Network even though it's a Home network?

(Don't mention the EOL. I'm not moving to 10)
    Last edited by foxy; March 2nd, 2019 at 02:50 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Because I had problems networking the previous installation, is it wiser to use the same UserID on both machines?
    If you want to use password protected sharing, then yes, you would want the same username and password on both systems.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-7-and-xp/

Wasn't there something about calling it a Work Network even though it's a Home network?
    You want to use the same WORKGROUP name.

Thanks, MidKnyte. There's no XP machine involved here.

I'm using these tutes:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/school/win...aring/lesson9/
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ith-homegroup/

"You want to use the same WORKGROUP name."

Not that; I know that. There was some reason for calling it a Work Network rather than Home Network, but I don't remember what it was. I have to go back through my notes if you don't remember.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly useful link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-6f45f3c750d5

There is only one difference between the home and work network profiles which comes up when you connect for the 1st time.

A home network profile allows you to set up or join a HomeGroup, on a work profile you can't. Therefore what it actually means by using the term "business" is wrong and the security differences are limited.

One of the limitations of a workgroup is accessing a share requires the credentials of all users to be set up on the host pc, setting up a HomeGroup automatically creates a common user between computers which could be considered a weak security setting..

Many thanks. :-) Sounds like why I screwed it up the first time around.
    Last edited by foxy; March 2nd, 2019 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks, MidKnyte. There's no XP machine involved here.
    I thought we went over this in the last time. It doesn't matter that it's not XP. You will want to use the same steps.

The network "location" type is a completely separate thing. Also Homegroups are completely different from Workgroups. Pretty sure I went over this in the other network thread.

OK, I just found my notes. Thanks.

Networking went smoothly using a work group. :-)

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

I thought it was. Actually not.

I see both machines in Network, and I have the same user name in both, but they're both telling me I don't have permission to open the folders. Please tell me this is something simple before I toss them through the 6th floor window.

Which folders are you trying to access that are giving you the errors?

Can you access ANY folders on the networked machines?

I listed all the data folders separately rather than the whole D drive. Can't access any.
    My Username folder in Users, so not Desktop or AppData>Roaming where all my program profiles are.

I can access Public folders, which I hadn't added to the list, but appeared by itself.

By the time I get this working, one of these 10-year-old machines will die. It has fallen way down in my list of priorities.
    And now you know why I hate smart-phones too.

If you're having password issues, did you try turning off Password protected sharing?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-7-and-xp/
    If you want any user to have access the public shares turn off password protection. This is located in Advanced Sharing Settings toward the bottom of the list.
    I can access Public folders, which I hadn't added to the list, but appeared by itself.
    It sounds like you enabled Public folders. You can turn that off if you want. It's mentioned in the same link I posted.

I've never had PW protection and don't now. The other 3 on that page are already turned on.

If you selected "Turn off password protected sharing", then it shouldn't matter if you have the same usernames/passwords.

The other 3 on that page are already turned on.
    Then you do have Public folders enabled. That's why they show up.

What procedures did you do to enable sharing on the folders? Try this:
    Right-click on the "shared" folder and click Properties
    Click on the Sharing tab, then click Advanced Sharing...
    Check Share this folder
    Click Permissions
    Make sure the Everyone group is listed
    If you want other users to be able to add/delete files, check Allow Full Control
    Click OK
    Click OK again
    Click Close

Thread Information