Computer Description/ Workgroup is blank

Thread: Computer Description/ Workgroup is blank

Computer Description/ Workgroup is blank

In System Properties I would like to put in a computer description because right now it says "not available" Used to be able to do all this in Windows XP and change the Registered Owner. In Windows 7 it is different. When I go where there is an empty box for computer description I cannot type into the box. No cursor insertion point cannot appear there. So I cannot add a description there. Where's this at? Also underneath that the Workgroup is also not available. Not too worried about that one though.

Any way to add something to my computer description?
    Here's a picture I snipped:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

How did you get to that screen? Assuming it's Control Panel > System, there should be a "Change settings" link to the right of the computer name.

I snipped that out of System Properties is all. I see the Change settings but the box for changing or adding a description cannot be typed in. No clicky in that box. I figure there was a registry change I could make like the ole XP computers. Here's a new image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jonnyb; March 27th, 2019 at 09:44 PM.
    Thanks, JB

When you click "Change settings", you can't type in the "Computer description" field?

To change the workgroup, you'd click on the "Change..." button.

https://searchitchannel.techtarget.c...dows-7-options

No it doesn't give me the insertion point so I can type into that box. Now I have a Windows 10 laptop that did give me that capability. Then it showed up in System Properties under Computer Description right away. That's strange that I can't add the description to my Windows 7 desktop. I actually installed that OS on that computer as well as normal. I don't care about the Workgroup but wanted just to put the description into something that said Unavailable.
    Thanks, JB

I did it!!!!!!! Yes. You have to have Server turned on to Automatic or Automatic(delayed start) in Services for this box available for typing into it. Note: if it was disabled like mine was you have to do a full restart (not a logoff) before it is back to Automatic and ready for adjustments in the Computer Description empty box. The description shows up automatically in System Properties when you type something into the Computer Description box. Also note: If you go back in to disable Server then the description will go back to Unavailable again. Here's my new picture of what I typed into my description.

Capture.PNG
    Thanks, JB

Thanks for the update. Good to hear you got it fixed.

This is good for others that are having the same problem. I read many discussions about this. Some talk about the Server being put to Automatic but not saying anything about a full reboot and not just a log off and on. That is the only way it works. I just did two Windows 7 computers in the same manner. Ok, onward and upward.
    Thanks, JB

The Server service is for file/print sharing, so it's usually enabled by default. Why are you disabling it?

Did not use my computer for a server and do not share printers with anyone. Don't have a network. So I disabled it.
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information