[RESOLVED] Looking for a specific piece of hardware PCIe M.2 M key

Thread: [RESOLVED] Looking for a specific piece of hardware PCIe M.2 M key

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Looking for a specific piece of hardware PCIe M.2 M key

I am trying to find a card that supports dual or more M keys for NVMe.

I can find these that have them with the M and B keys together but am wondering if they make a dual or more with M keys. I have been looking but I cannot seem to find anything. I don't know if they even make anything like that or if it's possible. All I find seems to support the sata speed with it and I'm not looking for that. I have the available slots if I need to go with singles I guess but I was trying to avoid the headache.

No, that's the thing. I don't want the base B key. Only the M. I wanted to know if they made cards that supported 2 or more NVMe's without the B. I'm trying to completely rid myself of sata altogether.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve. What motherboard are you planning to use? Some have 2 M.2 slots built in. Or you could use 2 adapter cards in 2 PCIe slots.

That is along the lines of what I'm looking for. I am reading that and see that VROC is only intel supported which requires me to buy the Intel VROC STD CPU HW RAID KEY which I am not quite sure exactly what that is. I am going to have to do some reading before investing but it does seem to be something to look into. This became complicated quick.

Ok I'm glad I didn't post, I did find out what the raid key was. 100 bucks for that? Wow. I may have to think about this.

I know that I can use 2 different slots to accomplish this. I wanted to know if there was a PCIe card that supported 2 or more NVMe cards instead of m.2 m and a m.2 b. I just didn't know if it was physically possible considering 1 card is taking up 4 lanes to transfer data and with 2 m.2 m drives on one PCIe card if it would/could happen or has happened. I have 3 M.2 M slots onboard and will quickly fill that up. I can offload that for now but am looking for a way to keep the storage right here. If it helps my motherboard is the gigabyte x399 designare. I am only using one PCI slot for video so I have 4 available. This is the machine that I was protecting in the other thread about the line isolator.

If max support is one NVMe then would this work?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iption=m2+nvme

Price wasn't the issue on the ASUS Hyper M.2/Intel VROC setup stuff, it was just new to me. By thinking about it, I should have stated that I have to do more research into it before hand. I would like for the setup to go as cleanly as possible. The money I put into this also dictates how much I put into protecting it so I want to get my research in.

It does look like what I'm interested in.
    Last edited by Ashalon1; March 27th, 2019 at 06:28 PM.

There may be other options. The market for what you are looking for isn't large. You need to use a PCIe slot with lots of data lanes to support multiple M.2 cards. Most people use 1 SSD for booting and store their data on a magnetic drive, while using the x16 PCIe slot for their graphics card. For a server, they just buy a much larger capacity (and much larger priced) SSD. If your are looking at SSD RAID, that is likely to be pricey no matter what option you go with.

Another link to check out:

https://www.icydock.com/nvme_m2

Thread Information