[RESOLVED] Opinions of Win 8 and 8.1 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [RESOLVED] Opinions of Win 8 and 8.1

Northern suburb of NYC, Westchester County, and I don't travel anymore. Once a year I take a trip 100 miles north and back again. I would like to find out what's doing locally, but can't find anything.

I've belonged to a branch of the ACPUG for 23 years, so I'm the computer "expert" among all my friends, all over age 65, and I don't know what to tell them about the phones. One was forced by Verizon to buy a pricey smart-phone and she hates it, uses it just for calls, but can't manage the touch-screen.

I'm now the GPS expert too. At a meeting, I asked "When you want the GPS to -----, why does it----?" and the answer from everyone was "Oh, I let my daughter (husband, grandson) do the GPS. I can't figure it out." So now I know more than all of them, and I go to a higher authority for info.

How did we get here from Win 8?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

2nd map is good, says my area is 4G, but my phone is working fine. I'll call AT&T for a shutdown date. Problem is the feature phones out there now are garbage, even TracFone's.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, most if not all of the "feature phones" are garbage. There is no market for them, so there is no R&D work done to make them worthwhile, as that would make them cost too much.

860 million feature phones were sold worldwide in 2017. I've had 4 perfectly good ones over a period of about 15 years. Unfortunately, one was soaked overnight with hot water and chlorine bleach, and the next one fell into the toilet.

What I'm seeing at ATT and Tracfone is not the quality I've been buying. They're trying to force smart-phones on everyone by posting crap. On smart-phones, nothing is done about sound quality either, because no one cares. They just keep adding more features and making them stronger.
    I can't spend $200 on a phone anyway, so I'll hang on. My computers are always a higher priority.

I've found something on TMobil with a prepaid plan.
    http://virtual-strategy.com/2019/03/...functionality/
    Last edited by foxy; April 16th, 2019 at 08:59 PM.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Not all cell phones cost $200, some places will give you a phone if you switch companies. I'm with MetroPCS and the first Smartphone I got from them was free because I switched from what I was using, basically a tracphone, to them. And it was a Samsung and sound quality was better than on my present phone.

Those feature phones weren't sold in the U.S. You might be able to find one sold elsewhere that works on your network, is more affordable and has better quality, but you might have trouble getting it activated here.

I just found a forum on att.com with some answers. Didn't know they had a forum.
    Thanks to you both for your time. :-)
    Last edited by foxy; April 17th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

Thread Information