[RESOLVED] Opinions of Win 8 and 8.1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Opinions of Win 8 and 8.1

Resolved [RESOLVED] Opinions of Win 8 and 8.1

I have 7 in both machines, and I know of no one, not even in my computer club, who uses 8 or 8.1. Is it worth dual-booting one of them in 8 in case the site where I work requires a newer OS, or is it a disaster like 10? Not moving to 10 at all, not wiling to go through that agony before I toss the machine through the (real) window.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Windows 8 is no longer supported by Microsoft, and 8.1 makes 10 look good. If you were going to dual-boot, you should consider a version of 10 or Linux Mint. I am working on setting up a machine with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Long Term Service Channel). That version does not have Cortana, and does not get "Feature" updates. I'll post some info later this year when I get it functional.

7 will no longer be supported either, so that's not a problem. I don't want to consider any version of 10, and I can't use Linux for work.

I don't want to talk to an AI that spies on me, or even one that doesn't spy on me, so I don't care about Cortana. I don't talk to machines instead of to people. What's a feature update?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone tried to convince me today I should have a smart-phone.

You can have the internet on it. I have that at home, almost all day on 2 machines.
    You can choose your provider. ATT is fine.
    I pay only $87/month for phone and internet. I pay $67/month for landline phone, internet and cell phone. I don't need the TV, have enough stations with my antenna.
    My phone was only $300. Mine was $12 w free shipping.

But you can do so many things on it. I do many things without one.

End.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    You. do. not. want. windows 8.1.
    It's on my laptop and I hate it. I am also a die hard Windows 7 user, and I refuse to go Windows 10 until they make me. But I'm thinking to use the one jdc using, when I have to move away from 7. From what he says, it's better than the regular versions of Windows 10.

If you are using the internet, at some point Windows 7 will become too vulnerable to unpatched zero-day exploits to safely use.

What software are you using now that you would need on a Linux system? You may find that there are alternatives, or a way to get it to run on a Linux OS.

"Feature" updates are the bling-bling and eye-candy that Microsoft adds to Windows 10 that don't really add any productivity enhancements but "look really cool". With Enterprise LTSC, you get security updates and some quality updates.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    You. do. not. want. windows 8.1.
    It's on my laptop and I hate it. I am also a die hard Windows 7 user, and I refuse to go Windows 10 until they make me. But I'm thinking to use the one jdc using, when I have to move away from 7. From what he says, it's better than the regular versions of Windows 10.
    Then there's no point in going to 8. Didn't know support had stopped.Thanks.

Windows 10 Enterprise also gives you the ability to reduce the Microsoft telemetry to a minimum level.

You can also add something like Start10 to customize the user interface and get rid of the useless Tiles.

Regarding your cell phone, I don't know what model you currently have, but if it does not have 4G capability, chances are you will have to replace it by the end of the year. Most carriers are shutting off the 2G and 3G transceivers in their cell sites by the end of 2019. There are 4G feature phones still available, but we don't yet know if there will be 5G feature phones.

$12 flip-phone from ATT, don't text and don't use it for internet. Prepaid plan--$25 for 3 months. It makes and receives phone calls, of which I use very few. I shop with either cash or debit card.

Reply to your post #6:
    I used XP for 4 years after updates stopped, without a hitch. Not even a piece of adware, nada. I switched to 7 because I was losing work on the site I work on. They want a recent Windows or Mac. I won this one in the monthly raffle of my computer club. Gateway came from a customer cum friend and had Vista. All budget stuff.

I have about 60 programs, and I wouldn't need the security programs on a Linux, so 50. These are essential, and all compat with 7:

Firefox 52.9ESR -- I will not update
    Thunderbird 52.9ESR--Will not update
    Open Office
    PaintShopPro 8 (2001)
    StickyPasswords PW Manager
    Clipmate 7.3 (2009) can't be updated
    Print Shop 15 (I think 2002)
    some other programs carried over from XP
    any Youtube downloader
    any CD burner

Inquisit, Chrome and Unity Player for work. Also one that records my screen. I haven't found one that works yet with Chrome, and lose those tasks.

I could use 10 LTSC just for work with a dual boot, but not if it's going to drive me crazy. It took me a year to find the time to set up a backup computer, then 2 months to get around to redoing it. I get SS but I'm not retired.
    Last edited by foxy; March 27th, 2019 at 01:59 PM.

Has anyone seen Sheila lately? Don't remember her username.

I don't know who Sheila is.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

You can get Firefox and Thunderbird and Open Office and Chrome for Linux. The rest could be run in a Virtual Machine using whatever version of Windows you want.

Windows 10 LTSC doesn't get the feature updates, so it shouldn't mess with your setup.

Why would I want 4G instead of the ?G I already have? Is this like Microsoft's scam to force people to constantly upgrade?

In your area, 4G and some 5G will be the only service available. 2G and 3G are being discontinued nationwide. You can check the specs on your phone to see if it has 4G capability.

Thread Information