[RESOLVED] Backup UPS

Thread: [RESOLVED] Backup UPS

Resolved [RESOLVED] Backup UPS

Wasn't quite sure where to place this so move as needed.

I am looking into isolating my machine from any interference of other electrical appliances. I have done as best of a job to keep all my hardware on one circuit in the office area of my house but I still receive clicking noises that are so annoying from my speakers that I am about to disable sound all together.

I am looking for a good recommendation on a UPS that would also provide isolation from any interference from anything else. To start, the main PC in question will be the only one plugged into it.

It must maintain 10 minutes of uptime with just a pc and monitor
    Have at least 2 USB connections and a fast switch over 2ms or less.
    I have normally stuck with APC in the past but just to give you an idea of how old my backup is? It takes some strength to move it, sits on a rack with wheels and I have replaced the batteries (all 6) 5 times, let's say that.

Any direction would help. Trying to keep it in the 200 range.

A UPS that provides isolation might be over your budget amount for the uptime required. See the link below for info on types of UPS equipment designs:

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA157448/

It might be worthwhile to try to determine if the clicking from the speakers is due to transients or something else, like a failing power supply for the speakers. You could try a different set of speakers as a test. I am assuming that the speakers are on your current UPS. How frequently and when does the clicking occur? if it is constant, and a different set of speakers has the same issue, then it could be lots of transients on the power to your location. There is test equipment that can detect this, but it is quite expensive. However, if you could find a company would test your power for a reasonable fee, that might be the way to go. Your electric utility should have some minimum standards that they have to meet, so if your power is not currently up to spec, it would be their responsibility to correct that.

Here is one type of UPS that I use:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16842102134

APC now has a similar unit:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16842301700

There is no power supply for the speakers so that has been ruled out. I do want it isolated so I guess I will be going over budget. It's worth it anyhow to protect this investment anyhow. I did find one finally and you were right jdc. For the design I asked, the price instantly started to double. I did find this. I don't know anything about this brand though.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-OM.../dp/B002TUYLW2

I couldn't find any reviews for that model. The brand generally has decent reviews for other products though.

I did find a small LIM for testing that I can use elswhere that doesn't need backup power if it provides the isolation needed. I just wish I could find one that only provided one line for that application, 2 will work. Can't get it all I guess. That LIM was found here.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-OM.../dp/B002TUYLW2

LIM in and the ups. All seems good on the homefront. Thanks, people. Off to a Video card/s problem. It's been a serious upgrade and unprepared.

I marked it a solved but it's not. The line is isolated and at 5- 5:15 am every morning the clicking starts. It lasts for about an hour. There is no definite timing to when or the intervals of the clicks. I still get it through my speakers regardless. I have swapped motherboards twice thinking there was an issue but I believe I have that ruled out. I changed audio drivers per board more than once and it persists. The UPS I have has a LIM and that's where I am plugged in and the pc is the only thing plugged in. None of these have had a sound card involved. All onboard. I do not run through an extension or a power strip anywhere from PC to wall. I swapped PSU's because of the video cards so I have so I think I ruled that out. It obviously has been wired and rewired numerous times.

Could the HDMI from my monitor cause this? Some sort of backward spikes? The timing on it has me confused yet it happens not too long after I turn on my monitors. Running 6 currently on my setup 2 are HDMI and the rest are Display port. No drivers for sound on the Display port, just 1 HDMI.
    Last edited by Ashalon1; April 28th, 2019 at 06:00 PM.

Thread Information