How to hook up monitor to my laptop

Thread: How to hook up monitor to my laptop

Product number: E4S19UA#ABA

Model: m7 j020dx

Please help me out here. I believe the above information is for my laptop. I am not very good with computers anymore (did not keep up with the times of Windows advancements).

At the age of 63 my eye sight is failing and this laptop monitor (although touch screen which I really never use) is far too small for my eyes to see without holding it up to my nose and it takes up a lot of desk space. I would rather a full size keyboard also.

I know I can get a wireless rechargeable mouse and keyboard combination which I already got for my work desktop computer but I would like to get one for my home laptop. I can get the combination mouse keyboard combination wireless rechargeable for my laptop (same as I purchased for my work desktop PC) but how do I hook up a monitor. I want to buy a large screen monitor for my laptop and place my laptop on a shelf above my desk and only have a monitor and mouse and keyboard on my desk.

I don't see any VGA or serial connections on my laptop. Don't I need one of those to hook up a monitor? I know I have a HDMI and a few USB ports on my laptop. I know there are many adapters that you can buy that convert one port to another but for some reason I can't seem to find what I need or don't understand what I need in order to hook up a monitor to my laptop. This old brain is getting to be just like my eyesight - not good at all!! Also is there a special type of monitor that I have to buy in order to hook the monitor up to my laptop or can I buy any and use a special adapter? NOTE: I don't need a monitor or way of hooking it up where I will have super fantastic resolution because of gaming or photo editing which I never do. I figured maybe this may be important to mention.

Please give me some guidance on this, it would be appreciated.

P.S. I am running an upgraded version of Windows 10. If the information about my laptop I posted above is not correct please tell me how to find it on my computer and I will update this post with the proper information. Thank you.

That is an HP Envy model with a 17.3 inch screen according to the link below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03895146

It should have an HDMI port according to the specs. You would need a monitor with an HDMI connection, or a converter if you have an older monitor you wanted to use.

I followed the link jdc2000 and that is the laptop I have. Thanks for your help!!

Ok, I have to get a monitor with an hdmi port. I would rather get a newer monitor with the port and connect it to the laptop via HDMI which the laptop does have. I have hooked the laptop up to my flat panel tv in the past via hdmi to show friends photos/vidoes of a trip so I know it will work. I just did not know they made monitors with hdmi ports.

Thanks again.

What size monitor were you wanting to get, and what is your budget?

Possibly useful link:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...79%20600029503

My budget would be about $140 to $180 but I think I may have an alternative; maybe. I say maybe because I am not quite sure if these two options will work (below). Also, thinking I would be limited on monitors in price that have an HDMI port.

I basically only do email and surf the web, no photo editing or gaming on my laptop.

Option #1 = If I already have an HDMI port on my laptop then I could buy a 30" flat screen TV and hook it up with an HDMI cable.

Option #2 = I have a large flat panel monitor (about 25") from an old PC that died a long death a couple of years ago. It only has a digital and serial (VGA) port on it. If I buy this adapter HERE will I be able to use that monitor from the old PC with my laptop using this adapter using the serial cable I have for it already (I guess you really call it a VGA cable - my terminology may not be correct - sorry)? The monitor now is serving no purpose but collecting dust.

Thanks

Thanks John, but in the example I gave initially there is no HDMI port on the monitor the monitor link is contained in my second post above. Or perhaps youre solution has something to do with the DVI-D option?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Why not use your control key and a wheel on your mouse, scroll up and the type becomes larger.

Of course there are monitors out there that still have a VGA port too.

Thread Information