[RESOLVED] Setting up a new installation - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Setting up a new installation

There are no other users, and I've set up the same username on both machines, so what's the difference between allowing MyUserName and Everyone?
    Last edited by foxy; March 28th, 2019 at 11:10 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

My point was to test if you could access the share or not. The "Everyone" group should allow access with password protection turned off. That's the easiest way to allow access.

What steps did you use to enable sharing for your "shared" folder? What users are listed on the Permissions page? Like I said, the easiest thing to do is enable sharing for the "Everyone" group.

I have all the folders now, took only 6 months. I right-click>Properties>Share>Advanced Sharing>"Share this folder" add "everyone" if not there.

I double-check this with rt click>Share with>Specific people--make sure Everyone and MyUserName are in permissions, Everyone has "read-write" permission.

My luck-- one or both of these old machines will die soon.

This is risky from the security point of view, isn't it? Aren't hackers included in "Everyone?"
    Last edited by foxy; March 31st, 2019 at 04:32 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

If hackers get access to one of your systems, they will likely make themselves an administrator anyway, so it isn't that much of an additional risk. As long as your router is up-to-date on its firmware and you follow good security practices, it is not something I would worry about.

Thread Information