[RESOLVED] I have a new problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] I have a new problem

Hybrid View

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back

Resolved [RESOLVED] I have a new problem

Video card driver stops working at times, and says it has recovered from problem. This started about a month ago, so I downloaded a newer driver from Nvidia and all was okay until this morning, when it happened again while I was playing an online game, not graphic intense either. Just a pch.com game. Card doesn't seem to be getting hot and it's a MSI 710 GT with 2GB memory and with fan.
    I know that probably isn't the problem and it's probably the driver. And I probably should check event viewer but for some reason I can never tell anything from event viewer, it doesn't show anything bad going on.

When the driver stops working, the screen goes black for about a second, then it comes back up, and a message pops up and says, your video card driver quit working but has recovered.

Should I try an older driver or even the one that came with the card. I didn't do that to start with, I just downloaded a new one from Nvidia. Driver I have now is 418.xx, the previous driver started with 318.xxx.

Looks like the latest drivers are 419.17 WHQL, but newer isn't always better. You could try an older set if you want. There are lots of WHQL sets in the 39x and 38x series.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download...phics-drivers/

In Event Viewer, it would probably have a critical or warning message at the time of the display error.

I think the last one I had was actually 38x. not 318. I usually don't buy MSI graphics cards because the only other one I had died within six months of owning it. I usually buy EVGA brand and they've been very good and if I ever had a problem with the card they were good on their warranty being forever if you make sure you register the card.

In event viewer, I can't get it to display the warning messages.

Event log says:
    the component that raises the even is either not installed on the local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on your computer.

Is it telling me my video card is bad? That's what I'm getting out of this or that the driver is bad or didn't install correctly but I didn't get any messages on install saying it didn't install right.

I think I read reviews about this card after I had it installed that it's not a good card.

If there an an event code, you could search for that also. It seems pretty vague, though.

It sounds more like a software/driver issue to me, but I can't say for sure.

I decided to try the latest driver. If that one doesn't work and it stops again. I'll try the driver that's on the cd/dvd I got with the card. It's probably older than what's on Nvidia's site. If that doesn't fix it. I have enough money next month to buy a EVGA GTX 1050 from (hate to say it) Newegg but that seems to be my only choice now since it seems every component I buy at Amazon is defective when I get it, computer wise that is.

It's doing it again. Started tonight. I think it's the video card now. New driver, old driver still blinking out and the card is not hot. No intense graphic games played. Display just blinks for a few seconds, then comes back up. This morning it was blinking rapidly for about three minutes, so I shut down the game I was playing and ever thing is fine so far.

I've played this game on a windows 98 machine with onboard graphics and never seen this problem before, so I know it's not that heavily graphic intense.

Wow. Yeah, you probably want to swap out the card to see if that's the issue. If you suspect heat, you could just open the case and have a fan blowing straight onto it.

You should probably clear out the old driver too. Try DDU, and then reinstall the video drivers.
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Wow. Yeah, you probably want to swap out the card to see if that's the issue. If you suspect heat, you could just open the case and have a fan blowing straight onto it.

You should probably clear out the old driver too. Try DDU, and then reinstall the video drivers.
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
    It's not heat, the side of the case is open. I touch metal, then touch card and it's not even warm. The card itself has a fan on it, I won't buy a vid card without one.

Each time I install a different driver, Nvidia says it's uninstalling the old drivers. I don't know how true that is, I never look to see if all the old drivers are gone before installation starts.

I'm trying a experiment. I have the computer set to shut off the monitor at 10 minutes. Next time I play the game, I'm going to turn that off completely and see if the monitor blinks out. Could that have anything to do with what's happening? It doesn't seem like it could or should but you know with computers anything can happen.

The monitor shouldn't shut off if the computer is active, but who knows. I've seen weird stuff happen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    The monitor shouldn't shut off if the computer is active, but who knows. I've seen weird stuff happen before.
    I didn't think it should either but as yo say, weird stufff happens all the time on computers. I still, in the back of mind, think it's the video card but I can't do anything about this until next month. I had an unexpected expense this month.
    Or this could be the card is okay but the PCI-e slot is going bad, especially after the two ram slots went out. Who knows.

I played the game today and last night without the display set to shut off, not one blink from the monitor.

Today the 8th and still no blinking since I changed the display to not shut off. Plus, playing that game for hours.

Almost 10 days later and still no driver stopping, since I stopped the display from turning off.

So hopefully problem solved?

Thread Information