Best way to test a new 8TB drive without taking days? (If possible)

Thread: Best way to test a new 8TB drive without taking days? (If possible)

Question Best way to test a new 8TB drive without taking days? (If possible)

I am on a Windows 10 desktop.

Normally I try to "build" my own external drives when I can as I don't trust pre-fabricated external drives, but with how much more expensive 8TB internal drives are (and that's not even including the enclosure) I purchased an external 8TB drive from Western Digital for backup purposes. However, I immediately had problems. The drive would not mount at first, I assumed it was the cable being loose, and after I got it working it failed about 20% or so into the backup while making noises, the drive also ran very hot, CrystalDisk reporting it at a temp of 57C but otherwise no SMART errors. I wanted to do a surface scan just to make sure but chkdsk was reporting that it would take 130 hours, so I just cancelled it. This drive was still new so back it goes for a refund.

So I guess that means back to "building" my own external... luckily there happened to be a sale on a Toshiba drive so I got that. Thing is though, I want to avoid a repeat of this issue just to be safe. Right now I am doing a non-quick format of previously mentioned WD external just to make sure to wipe any data from it, even though I am pretty sure no backup data managed to be stored in a usable state.... and it's taking about 10 or so hours.

It's probably going to take just as long, if not longer, to format the new drive I am getting, and that's not counting any tests. Are there any tests, surface scans, or any other recommended days I can test the drive just to make sure it works that won't take days? I know that 8TB is a large drive and that is a lot to test, but I can't wait a week just to do a surface test. Do I have any other options that are still a reliable test?

Also, the enclosure I am getting has both eSata and USB 3.0 ports, which would be recommended to use? I always thought eSata would be faster, but now I am reading that USB 3.0 might actually be faster. Or would it not even matter for a 7200RPM mechanical drive?
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

You could see if Toshiba has a diagnostic tool for their drives. Possibly useful links:

https://support.toshiba.com/support/...ive+diagnostic

https://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/596

Note that it may still take several hours to properly test a drive of that size.

Thread Information