Boot Issues

Thread: Boot Issues

Boot Issues

I have an ACER desktop that has been a very reliable computer until just recently. Yesterday, as I was shutting it down, the option was "Update and Restart," which I chose. When I tried to us it today, the screen was black and I got the message "No Signal." Nothing I did made a difference, so I did a hard reboot and still nothing. The PC seems to boot up, but there's no display. I've tried this approach 4-5 times and nothing. This exact thing happened with the last Windows Update as well. I've checked all the connections and nothing is loose. I just ran my virus protection and spyware software yesterday and nothing was amiss. This is more than annoying. Any ideas?

It sounds like a Windows "update" may have helpfully "updated" your display drivers to non-functioning versions.

If you have another computer, you could try downloading the .iso file for Linux Mint and creating a bootable CD/DVD disc that you can use to try booting the Acer with. If that works and you get a display, then you know Windows Update caused the issue. If you get no display when booting to the Linux disc, you may have a hardware problem that just coincidentally appeared after a Windows Update.

If you have a spare monitor, you could try that as well.

Just to wrap this up, at least for the time being, the PC finally booted up on about the 8th try. I will look into the bootable DVD in case it happens again with the next update.

Thread Information