[RESOLVED] del recovery part. and fix startup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] del recovery part. and fix startup

Resolved [RESOLVED] del recovery part. and fix startup

I'm going to ask you to continue this because seven forums isn't helping me anymore. It's about the Gateway listed in my sig .I don't have a backup image of that HD because the entire comp. is my backup machine for this one.:

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-...ml#post3417514

I used this tute to delete the Vista Recovery Part.:

https://www.disk-partition.com/diskp...tion-4125.html

But now I'm back in the Startup Repair loop. Details say: "AutoFailover"..."No root cause."

-I've already tried the mem diag.
    -I have a bootable Macrium disc but it wants to restore an image.
    -I used the cmd to do the part. deletion.
    -I triedbootrec /rebuildbcd and bootrec /fixboot and both were successful.
    -When I hit F10, I don't get the entire list of boot options, only Startup Repair and Start Normally. There's no Safe Mode.

I set it up with Win7 just a few weeks ago, but it is a bit old, not quite old enough to have a bar mitzvah, and I'm not the original owner. It was humming along smoothly for about a month, although the network didn't work properly. Now I'm going backwards.
    Last edited by foxy; January 17th, 2019 at 03:12 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Forgot to say: the Startup Repair thinks I have XP on the machine.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read this thread and the sevenforms thread and I am still confused as to what the actual problem is and what you are attempting to do to fix it. Please clarify if my assessment of the issue is incorrect.

You have a new Windows 7 installation that has somehow been corrupted and won't boot, and the recover attempts have failed.

What is stopping you from doing either a Repair Install (boot from the install CD/DVD disc or media), or a clean install?

It sound more like you deleted the System partition. The Recovery partition can also be the System partition, which is required to boot.

Since you seem to know how to run diskpart:
    run diskpart
    enter "list disk" (I'm assuming there is only one hard drive, which would be Disk 0)
    enter "select disk 0"
    enter "list volume"

Look at the "Info" column. There should be a volume marked as "System" and another as "Boot". If you don't see a "System" volume, then you probably deleted it.

It would probably be faster just to do a clean install, now that you've deleted the Recovery partition.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I read this thread and the sevenforms thread and I am still confused ad to what the actual problem is and what you are attempting to do to fix it. Please clarify if my assessment of the issue is incorrect.

You have a new Windows 7 installation that has somehow been corrupted and won't boot, and the recover attempts have failed.

What is stopping you from doing either a Repair Install (boot from the install CD/DVD disc or media), or a clean install?
    -I'm trying to boot into Windows. Instead I'm in an endless loop of Startup Repair.

-I'm trying to avoid a clean install because I've already installed roughly 50 programs, all the Win Updates, tweaked the system with Classic Shell, networked the 2 computer and made numerous other customizations. It's the machine where Midknyte helped me set up the network some weeks ago, but we were interrupted by the login problem here.

-I was told at 7Forums that a Repair Install can be done only from within the Win UI.
    At this point, I'd like to toss the machine out the window.
    Last edited by foxy; January 17th, 2019 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    It sound more like you deleted the System partition. The Recovery partition can also be the System partition, which is required to boot.

Since you seem to know how to run diskpart:
    run diskpart
    enter "list disk" (I'm assuming there is only one hard drive, which would be Disk 0)
    enter "select disk 0"
    enter "list volume"

Look at the "Info" column. There should be a volume marked as "System" and another as "Boot". If you don't see a "System" volume, then you probably deleted it.

It would probably be faster just to do a clean install, now that you've deleted the Recovery partition.
    Sys part. is there, at about 300 GB. Recovery part. was useless as this was originally a Vista comp. See my reply to jdc re: clean install.

I don't have a backup image of that HD because the entire comp. is my backup machine for this one.
    Just because it's your "backup machine", that doesn't mean you shouldn't create an image backup for it. Even more so if you're messing with partitions. If you never created a backup, Macrium won't help you now.

-I triedbootrec /rebuildbcd and bootrec /fixboot and both were successful.
    What was the exact order of the commands you did? You should have run the following commands:
    bootrec /fixmbr (Repairs the Master Boot Record [MBR])
    bootrec /fixboot (Writes a new Boot Sector)
    bootrec /rebuildbcd (Rebuilds the Boot Configuration Data [BCD])

If that doesn't work, you can try running Startup Repair again.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Just because it's your "backup machine", that doesn't mean you shouldn't create an image backup for it. Even more so if you're messing with partitions. If you never created a backup, Macrium won't help you now.

What was the exact order of the commands you did? You should have run the following commands:
    bootrec /fixmbr (Repairs the Master Boot Record [MBR])
    bootrec /fixboot (Writes a new Boot Sector)
    bootrec /rebuildbcd (Rebuilds the Boot Configuration Data [BCD])

If that doesn't work, you can try running Startup Repair again.
    I didn't expect Macrium to help. I mentioned it because it was one of the Sys Recovery Options.

I don't know diskpart, but I follow tutorials. I had used one of the tutorials to do, in this order:
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    (wait)
    bootrec /fixboot
    (wait)

it said it was successful

Now I used your commands, then chkdsk, from jdc's link, and I got this
    "Type is NFTS
    Vol. label is Gate_SYSPROG...
    ..0 bad files recorded
    ...862208 file SDs/SIDs processed"
    Nothing negative.

It's not my primary computer. If there's nothing else to be done, I'll wipe it and start over. I just wanted to try all options.
    Last edited by foxy; January 17th, 2019 at 05:07 PM.

If you do end up starting over, my usual method for installing is as follows:

Install Windows.
    Install any Service Packs, if needed.
    Install all necessary updates.
    Make an Image backup, using Acronis, Macrium, or other image backup software.
    Install application software, and any updates for those programs.
    Make a new (separate) image backup of the system.

Note: If you are installing 50 application programs, you may want to consider installing a few at a time, updating them, then making a (new) image backup. You would hate to get 49 of them installed and working only to have program install number 50 mess up the system operation and have to start over again.

Thanks

Can I just wipe the C part., or does the D (all data) have to go also? It has no sys files.

error dupe

You can just format the C: drive. I would make a backup of your D: drive first, though.

One more question: aside from the memory, which I tested, I don't know if it's hardware related.

Thread Information