[RESOLVED] Connecting Bluetooth headphones to Sony television.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Connecting Bluetooth headphones to Sony television.

Resolved [RESOLVED] Connecting Bluetooth headphones to Sony television.

Bought a new Sony 49" television yesterday. Great picture, fair sound, but nothing else works. I specifically made sure it had red and white RCA jacks in back for my headphones and external speakers, but they produce nothing, I cannot find anything in setup that addresses settings for them, and they are lebeled as "input" connections in any case. There is nothing in any of the instructions about them.

So I finally gave up and bought a pair of Bluetooth headphones. The television says "searching for devices" and finds nothing. My iPhone finds the headphones when they are in pairing mode but the television does not. Tried removing the Sony microphone, disabling Bluetooth on the tv and re-enabling it. Nothing works.

Found something online that says,"All you need is a 3rd party bluetooth pairing app (I got it from aptoide app) and you can connect your bluetooth earphones from there. I have tested my qcy earphones as well as a generic bluetooth reciever.All you need is a 3rd party bluetooth pairing app (I got it from aptoide app) and you can connect your bluetooth earphones from there. I have tested my qcy earphones as well as a generic bluetooth reciever."

I have no idea what that means, how I would download that app to my television, or how I would use it once it was downloaded. It is a "smart tv" connected to my wifi, but does not, to my knowledge, have a browser. Any ideas how I can turn this useless brick into a television that I can watch when my wife is asleep?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Does your new TV state it has Bluetooth anywhere in the manual?

What is the exact model number of the TV and headphones?

You can check BT compatibility here also:
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00159290

The reason for my question was, some manuals say some models has bluetooth, but come down to the nitty gritty of it, they don't. I guess that's why Midknyte ask which model Sony you have.

The TV is an XBR49X800E, and definitely has Bluetooth. The Menu has an item for Bluetooth implementation, including a sub-item for "add device." It simply does not find the headset, which is definitely in "pairing mode."

The problem seems to be with the A2DP which is referenced in the link provided by Midknyte. This television model apparently does not support that, but no Bluetooth headset says whether it is A2DP or not. A few mention a version, but most don't even do that. They merely say they are Bluetooth - period.

I'm heading back to the store to very politely tell them that they need to solve this problem for me.

Hmm, I don't see that TV on the list. I'm guessing BT keyboards and things like that would work, but maybe not headphones?

You might need to get headphones and an RF transmitter to connect to the headphone jack.

I went back to the store, Best Buy, and they could not possibly have been nicer or more helpful. I have become a real fan of that store. They went trough the Bluetooth setup with a headset with a Sony 900E model, and I said, "Yes, but mine doesn't do that." So they went to an 800E on display and found that it had the same menu I described and the same failure to connect that I have. So they called their Sony rep, and asked what gives.

I only heard the Best Buy guy's end of the conversation, but clearly he was about as peeved with Sony as I was. At one point he asked, "Well what's the Bluetooth for, then?" and a bit later, "Then why show it on the menu?" In short, while it does say on the box and in the advertising that it supports Bluetooth, and it has a Bluetooth selection on the setup menu, no, this model does not support Bluetooth.

They offered to trade the set for another that does support Bluetooth, and to reduce the price on the upgrade, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of making the swap. So I bought a Bluetooth transmitter that connects through the optical connector. Got it set up this afternoon and it works fine.

So, black mark for Sony. They sold me something and did not deliver. But very high marks for Best Buy. They turned themselves inside out to solve the problem for me.

Glad you got it sorted. I think the remote uses BT, but I guess that doesn't mean it supports BT headphones. Boo.

In short, while it does say on the box and in the advertising that it supports Bluetooth, and it has a Bluetooth selection on the setup menu, no, this model does not support Bluetooth.
    I think I mentioned that earlier. Sorry. But glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Thread Information