ATX 8 pin to PCIE 8 pin power - matching up wires

Thread: ATX 8 pin to PCIE 8 pin power - matching up wires

ATX 8 pin to PCIE 8 pin power - matching up wires

I need to go from my power supply's 8 pin ATX output to the 8 pin PCIE on my graphics card. I realize the pin configuration is different, but I have both connectors. I want to make them into an adapter. Can I just cut the wires and match up yellow to yellow (12v) and black to black (grounds)? I know PCIE has 2 voltage regulating wires (which are also black) so I wasn't sure. The reason I have to do this is because I threw away the wires that came with my PS, thinking I wouldn't need them. Now I do.

Thanks

You could splice and dice the wires you have (checking a wiring output diagram for your power supply first), but I wouldn't. A better solution is to contact the power supply manufacturer (Corsair, etc.) and request a replacement cable. That is what I would do.

Next time, I would keep the cables, or, you could e-bay them, which would be another potential source for the cables.

The cables seem hard to come by on ebay. There are lots of cables, but not the right ones. My Thermaltake PS only has the ATX 8 pin outputs and the 6-pin Sata outputs; which leads me to believe if I ever had the right cable to begin with. Even if I had an 8 pin male to male PCIE cable, there likely wouldn't be anywhere to plug it into on my PS. I do have the Molex to 8 pin PCIE adapter. The problem is, I only have 1 string of molex power connectors and the adapter requires 2 molex plugins (which shouldn't be on the same string). So now, I think I need to buy a sata to molex adapter, then use the molex to 8-pin adapter and connect it on both strings. I tried connecting my GPU on the same string with the molex adapter and it wouldn't post. What a nightmare...

Thanks for that. The motherboard not posting with the new card was due to it needing a uefi/bios update. I was able to get the molex adapter to work. I'm not sure if each output on the PS corresponds to a separate circuit. If so, It might be beneficial for me to get that cable as to not have my GPU on the same circuits as my SSDs.

Thread Information