New SSD not showing up in disk management... & HDD shows over 500GB suddenly "free"

Thread: New SSD not showing up in disk management... & HDD shows over 500GB suddenly "free"

Question New SSD not showing up in disk management... & HDD shows over 500GB suddenly "free"

I'm on Win8.1 and have a fine running computer. I happened to have an old 64GB Kingston SSD I wanted to finally use. I never used it in the past actually for another install.

Plugged it in, ok... boot computer but it doesn't show in disk management, but also a peculiar thing happened my current HDD shows over half of it just suddenly "free"... which is disconcerting. I'm afraid to wonder what happened!
    Last edited by webmaster111; January 29th, 2019 at 05:02 AM.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

Does the BIOS see the SSD? You might need to enable the SATA port.

What happens to the HDD if you unplug the SSD?

Post the make and model of the motherboard and model of the SSD.

run diskmgmt.msc does the hard drive show up there? Does it show correct size for your other hard drive?

Will reboot to try to get some of this info...

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Post the make and model of the motherboard and model of the SSD.
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name WINDOWS-BCNBPQC
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model XPS 8700
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU XPS 8700
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 8/2/2013
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

Ok great, I think we can mark this as resolved.

I looked in BIOS and it was there. Then after a restart the old HDD magically had all it's spaced used again (ok? weird but ok). Then I went with the Kingston tool to try to update the firmware since updating drivers in other places didnt work. There was some mention of having to change some AHCI thing to something else, which I did, and then the Kingston tools was able to see that a SSD was plugged in. Updated yay! Then, I did that disk management stuff that the internet basically said to try first, but this time the drive was there. Now, I partitioned it basically going through the walkthrough and there it is, a new drive on the THIS PC screen. It seems to work alright now.

No doubt SSD tech has come a long way in 5 years. Now I just have to decide what to use it for? It's an old drive, in fact the first one failed on a newb CPU build I tried years ago. This was the replacement and I just had it in a bin for years. Should I be worried that this is some old discontinued model?

The actual drive is from 2013 and the model is: SVP200 S37A / 60G
    https://www.kingston.com/us/support/...model=svp200s3

Good to hear you got it working.

Should I be worried that this is some old discontinued model?
    I wouldn't worry about that. New models are usually only "new" for about 3 months anyway. It should work fine. Of course, 64 GB isn't much space these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Good to hear you got it working.

I wouldn't worry about that. New models are usually only "new" for about 3 months anyway. It should work fine. Of course, 64 GB isn't much space these days.
    For sure!

It was supposed to be just for maybe the OS and a game or 2 to load faster.

Interestingly, I loaded a game onto it and it doesnt seem to load any faster?

I'd think it would depend on how disk intensive the game is. What game are you talking about?

Thread Information