[RESOLVED] suspicious - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] suspicious

OK, so no WSUS. The link in post #14 shows that there may be an issue with a Microsoft Update that is causing the problem. Windows 10 had a similar issue, so this is a definite possibility. Check the info at that link and then check for the presence of the offending update. If found, you can uninstall it, then set Windows Update to Notify you but NOT automatically download and install updates. When the update is listed as available, you can Hide it, at least until Microsoft fixes it, assuming that they do that. You could then try setting the Microsoft Update setting back to whatever it was previously, and hope that Microsoft won't Unhide that update for you and reinstall it.

Have you tried turning off firewall? Also what software are we talking about? I used to have a software that would stop working after ie 11 got installed. Look at windows update and see what latest windows update got installed after it stops working.

A Windows update seems like the most likely cause, but I'd also double-check your network settings as I stated in post #12. It's possible a setting got changed by an update.

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    OK, so no WSUS. The link in post #14 shows that there may be an issue with a Microsoft Update that is causing the problem. Windows 10 had a similar issue, so this is a definite possibility. Check the info at that link and then check for the presence of the offending update. If found, you can uninstall it, then set Windows Update to Notify you but NOT automatically download and install updates. When the update is listed as available, you can Hide it, at least until Microsoft fixes it, assuming that they do that. You could then try setting the Microsoft Update setting back to whatever it was previously, and hope that Microsoft won't Unhide that update for you and reinstall it.
    Wrote a more lengthy response, but seems it didn't post. Yes, the Microsoft updates were the culprit. Redid the network today, cleaned up everything, got a good connection with Host and Client, access to the software package four'five times, ok. Rebooted, and yep, on bootup the updates kicked in (auto), and there when the effort.
    Both computers worked fine on internet, and doing local work, network connection was corrupted, again. Redid the entire cleanup, disabled auto updates, rebooted, and all was fine. Did reboot tests four/five times and each computer saw the other, the software package was available on each boot, and no updates were started.
    Figure to let the updates closed for a time, and later on maybe check back. Never had this problem before, and kinda upset Microsoft would let such buggy updates be pushed out for installs, unaware that they could hinder legitimates businesses and medical practices. To all, many thanks. Please mark this a resolved as I'm not too certain on how that should be done. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Microsoft doesn't do any significant testing of their updates anymore, unfortunately - that is your job as a user now. Most large corporations use WSUS for their Microsoft update process, and do not deploy the updates on Patch Tuesday when they are released. Instead, they test them and watch the blogs for issues before deploying them. For a small business that does not have an IT staff, this is not really an option though.

Thanks for letting us know the results.

You can mark the thread as Resolved using the Thread Tools just above the first post on a page. I have done so for you on this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Microsoft doesn't do any significant testing of their updates anymore, unfortunately - that is your job as a user now. Most large corporations use WSUS for their Microsoft update process, and do not deploy the updates on Patch Tuesday when they are released. Instead, they test them and watch the blogs for issues before deploying them. For a small business that does not have an IT staff, this is not really an option though.

Thanks for letting us know the results.

You can mark the thread as Resolved using the Thread Tools just above the first post on a page. I have done so for you on this thread.
    Just read on one of the tech sites, last week, that Microsoft has decided to use its own Beta testers. Might have been Bob Rankin's column, or some other. Now I know why. On my systems I view updates, hold 'em,. then later, much later, install if I really need them. Thanks again Jim S.
    Jim S.

Thread Information