[RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 from one hard drive to another
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 from one hard drive to another

Resolved [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 from one hard drive to another

I got windows 10 when it was for free. I put it on a 118 gb solid state hard drive. Is there any way to to move windows 10 to another hard drive or do I have to buy Windows 10?

Can we assume that you have discovered that 118 GB is not really enough for Windows 10 and are running out of space?

What computer do you have this drive in? Post the make and model.

If you can connect another drive somehow, you can clone the existing drive to the new one. This will preserve your settings and application software.

You could re-install Windows 10 and keep the registration, as Microsoft does Windows 10 registration a different way than previous Windows versions.

More information on your computer would be helpful.

Along the cloning lines, you could make a backup and then restore it to another drive. How are you doing your backups now?

Thanks for the replies! Wow!
    Yes, I am concerned about running out of space as I am down to 18 gigs.

Dell XPS 730x 00
    Windows 10 professional (x64) version 1809
    CPUs 3.20 GHz Intel cor I7 965 multicore (4 total)
    Board-Dell 0P27OJAOO
    Memory 12280MB-3 slots 4096MB each
    2 Samsung HD 128.03 GB each

I can install another hard drive, which I would do. I do not know how to clone.
    I do not know how to reinstall windows 10 or where the registration is.
    I didn't know I could back up windows and reinstall it.

Thanks for the links! I have an SSD drive now so I should just be able to get a larger one and do it. I'll let you know.

Tried the Macrium Reflect Free. Had a little trouble installing it. The program seemed to work. I tried to go into the BIOS using the F2 key. I tried 4 times without success to get into the BIOS. Is it that tricky?

It shouldn't be that hard. When are you pressing F2? I usually start tapping it right after I hit the power button.

I'm assuming you're trying to change the boot order?

Did you make a backup with Macrium or not? If so, I'd remove the original SSD, install the new SSD, and then restore the Macrium backup.

I finally got "F2" to work. I want to make the new hard drive a bigger partition in "C". I right clicked on the start button and then selected disk management. The screen showed Disk 0 basic 465.76 GB on line. The "C" then showed 118.80 GB NTFS Healthy (system,boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary recovery partition. the next says 450 MB healthy (recovery partition) the next one is 346.52 GB unallocated.
    If I right click on it and select new simple volume the wizard screen shows up. Then specifies volume size. It wants to create a drive "E". But I want to expand "C". What am I doing wrong?

You can't expand the C: drive from Windows/Disk Management. You'd need to use a third-party tool like Minitool for that. You'd also need to move the other partitions down, so that there is free space directly next to C:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

But if you're going to be restoring your backup from Macrium anyway, you could create a larger C: partition when you run the restore. Or are you saying that you restored the backup to the HD? I thought you said you were going to get a bigger SSD?

Thanks for the reply! Yes I was going to get a bigger SSD drive but I had a SATA 500GB around. So I formatted it and cloned it. So it did clone the SSD drive to the SATA but the same size which makes sense. I didn't know I couldn't expand the "C" partition. So you are saying I can do that with "partitionwizard"? I don't know what you mean by "move it down". Is that something in the "partitionwizard" program?

I didn't know I couldn't expand the "C" partition. So you are saying I can do that with "partitionwizard"?
    Yes, that's exactly what I said. Windows can't expand C: while Windows is running. You need a third-party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard.

You need to have free space right next to C: in order to expand it. If there is a partition right next to C:, there's no room for C: to grow. That's why you'd have to move the other partitions away from C: to create free space next to it.

Can you provide a screenshot of Disk Management? I would be easier to explain if we could see how your partitions are currently set up.

I'm not sure if I did the screen shot correctly. But scrolling down to "additional Options" is something that says "screen 1.jpg" which is the name of the file.

I can see the screenshot. There is no free space next to C:, so you can't expand it. I'm assuming you want to use the rest of the disk for C:. If not, let us know.

First, you'd need to move the Recovery Partition to the end of the disk (to the right). Then you can resize the C: drive.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help...partition.html

This is where I am at in trying to expand "C" on the hard drive. The computer says I still only have 118 GHz. I don't know what to do from here. Also I can't get into "setup" using the F2 key. I have tried probably 25 times varying when I start tapping the F2 key.

Thread Information