[RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 from one hard drive to another - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 from one hard drive to another

Because I had the extra drive around and I couldn't believe that it wasn't the cloning programs fault but mine. So I installed it and ran the cloning program and it worked like it was suppose to. Disregard what I said in the previous post. I figured out how to format the new drive, which must have had something on it because when I tried to format it it said it was using the drive and could not be formatted. I was under the impression that cloning was better than imaging. So I cloned "C", the original disk to "E" the new disk. I removed the "C" disk and started the computer and it works. The computer still lists the "C" disk, even though it is removed and the "E" disk, which is the new disk I cloned to. I'm only guessing but if the new disk had been formatted properly it would have run the cloning program properly. Hopefully I haven't created a new set of problems.

The computer still lists the "C" disk, even though it is removed and the "E" disk, which is the new disk I cloned to.
    If you cloned the "C" disk to "E" and then removed "C", "E" would now become "C". That is the purpose of cloning.

I prefer imaging, because you can have multiple different images and you can save the images to different drives for backup.

The new drive is now "C" like you said. I need to get better at what you are trying to tell me and not be so paranoid. I am thrilled because the new drive works and the partition is expanded. I also learned how to send an image to the forum thanks to the tutorial. Those are only a few things. Now when Windows does the upgrade that will take 7 GB for whatever (is that true?) I am ready. So I am thankful to all of you!

Now when Windows does the upgrade that will take 7 GB for whatever (is that true?) I am ready.
    Do you mean upgrading to Win10? It does take more space, but I'm not sure exactly how much more.

No. Something about reserving 7 gb on the hard drive for doing updates. But you could still use the space. If you haven't heard of it it must not be. Thanks again for all your help!

Windows 10 will at some point reserve 7GB of space for "updates".

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...tes-dont-fail/

Interesting. I hadn't heard about that exact number before, but it's not a surprise either.

jdc2000 nailed it!

Thread Information