I have a dual-boot laptop, which I've had since 2015. I boot between Windows 7 and Linux Mint 17.

The Linux side boots fine, without any issues. However, when I try to boot to Windows, the Windows Screen loads, with the red, green, blue, yellow little logo...and stops. It goes no further than this. I get nothing else, not even the "black screen of death," no mouse movement, just the rgby logo, and that's it.

I must then power off, and can only use safe mode; I can use "with networking," to get on the web, it. "Last known good command" won't work. Apparently, when I thought I'd set up system restore, including having a 3rd party software do so, they neither works.

I tried using the install flash drive I had for the OS, and tried to repair, with no luck. I even attempted the memory diagnostic (blue screen) to see if it could solve the issue, but to no avail.

I should note that the laptop suffers from periodic overheating, and has simply shutdown, in a few spots. Initially, it was only in Windows, but now, even in Linux. Is this just another sign that the laptop is on it's "last legs?"