[RESOLVED] 2.2b Infinity screen...

Thread: [RESOLVED] 2.2b Infinity screen...

Resolved [RESOLVED] 2.2b Infinity screen...

Windows 7 desktop with two hard drives installed. I got a blue screen of death, so I rebooted. On the reboot, I got a 2.2b infinity screen, and my only choice is the cd/dvd drive. On a little googling, it was suggested that the hard drive is bad. I took it out and checked it on my other pc via an external usb. At first it did not show up, but then it did. Then it was gone, then it came back. Attachment 14951 I put the HD back in original pc, and got the same 2.2b infinity screen. I turned it off and back on again, and got the attached screen. I'm pretty sure my HD1 is bad or going bad. If that's the problem, I have HD2 on that pc for storage. I don't think it has an operating system installed. If HD1 is bad, is it possible to boot from HD2 or replace HD1 with HD2? Gosh I hope this makes sense!
    Last edited by crowland2; January 13th, 2019 at 08:31 PM.

The attachment is invalid. What do you mean by 2.2b infinity?

You can run hard drive diags to be sure. You didn't say what make/model of drives you have. You can create a UBCD5 boot disk or usb flash drive, and then run diags from that. The UBCD5 link is in my signature, and hd diags are on post #4.

You can't just boot from HD2 if you didn't install an OS on it. I would backup your data to another drive first. You could try installing Windows, but it will probably ask you to reformat the drive first.

Let me try on the picture again:

Also assuming HD1 is dead, if I put in a different HD (I have a few), will it automatically install Windows 7 in that computer? Thanks for the response.

pc.JPG

And by the way...I tried to download Ultimate Boot cd. I never could get it! I went to the mirror sites, but couldn't seem to get to an "ios" download.

Right click the little ISO icon and choose "save link as" or the equivalent depending on which browser you're using.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I didn't see anywhere on that screen capture where it says "2.2b Infinity", however, that is the BIOS boot status screen, and is does say that the HD is bad.

If you install a replacement hard drive, it will not automatically install Windows. You will need to use your Windows installation media to install Windows, then update the drivers and re-install your application software from the appropriate installation media files.

I have a formatted hard disk, but I can't seem to locate the operating disks. I use this pc for one specific task, so it's not a big deal. I also have a 1 tb drive in it for network storage. I didn't want to open my current pc when it was new to put it in, so I just accessed it over the network. I'll just stick the 1 tb drive in my new pc and retire my Windows 7 pc for good, unless you have any other (free) ideas. Thanks!
    Last edited by crowland2; January 14th, 2019 at 01:53 PM.

Was this an off-the-shelf computer (Dell, HP, etc.) or a custom built one? An off-the-shelf computer probably had a recovery partition. If that is the case, you would at least need the Windows registration code, unless you are using Windows 10.

If you have a registration code, you could probably download some installation media files. Otherwise, you would need to be able to retrieve the code from the failed/failing drive, or a backup image of that drive. More details on the system would be needed for any additional suggestions.

I realized I was getting this one (purchased with recovery partition) with my previous build one. the Windows 7 key on the side of the case. So is it possible to find a windows 7 premium download to go with my key? Thanks.

I realized I was getting this one (purchased with recovery partition) with my previous build one.
    What does that mean? You can't take a drive with a recovery partition from one system to another, and then run a recovery.

If you have an MSI board, didn't you build the system yourself? If not, someone would have had to build it for you.

You can try downloading a Windows Home Premium iso here: http://windowsiso.net/

This is a purchased Windows 7 premium pc. I did find a windows 7 premium download, but next issue--It's been a while since I've done this, so probably a dumb question: Do I just burn the iso to a disk, or do I open it on my current pc and then burn it?

Do I just burn the iso to a disk, or do I open it on my current pc and then burn it?
    In the UBCD5 thread post #1, it tells you how to burn an iso to DVD. You'll have to boot from the DVD to do the Windows install.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

Done! Windows 7 machine back in business. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information