[RESOLVED] Searching in Win7

Thread: [RESOLVED] Searching in Win7

Resolved [RESOLVED] Searching in Win7

I have a program called Super Finder XT, which I've been using since 98SE, and I just did a test search for *.log, excluding C:\Documents and Settings because of the endless nested Application Data folders. The syntax was correct, but it didn't exclude them and I finally had to shut down the program. The company has only email support, which I'll try after my next question.

I switched to Windows Explorer, did the same, but there's no exclusion option at all. It's stuck in the Application Data folders for 25 minutes, and might never come out. I'm going to send the Firefox hamburger in for it, with a cup of coffee. ;-)

In XP, there were more options in the search. Is there an exclusion option in Win Explorer? If not, do you know a simple search program that has an exclusion option?
    Last edited by foxy; December 20th, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Try Everything Search.
    http://www.voidtools.com/

Go to Tools > Options...
    Indexes > Exclude
    Click Add Folder...
    Browse to folder you want to exclude and click OK
    Click Apply, then click OK

Thanks, it has an "exclude" and support. :-)

Actually, SF does have support, but the site has been hacked...
    Last edited by foxy; December 20th, 2018 at 10:09 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installed it, now at the help file online. I can't run a command line UI. I need something much simpler.

What do you mean command line? You just run the .exe file. It's a GUI. That's what my instructions are for.

You can download the portable version. Just extract the Everything.exe and run. Super simple.

I just tested the installer. It even creates a shortcut on your Desktop. I'm not sure why you thought you had to run it in a command prompt.

It's possible to run the .exe in command line, but I haven't run into a situation where I needed to do that.

It says on the Help page that after installation you run it, or maybe put in parameters, with a command line. Could be I'm misreading, and it's just an alternate way to use it.
    https://www.voidtools.com/support/ev...ine_interface/
    Last edited by foxy; December 21st, 2018 at 01:33 AM.

There is a download link on that page for the ES.exe program that gives you the command line capability.

Could be I'm misreading, and it's just an alternate way to use it.
    YES. Most people will use the GUI.

Thread Information