[RESOLVED] Last one I think. Motherboard advice.Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 or GA-970A-D3P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Last one I think. Motherboard advice.Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 or GA-970A-D3P

Resolved [RESOLVED] Last one I think. Motherboard advice.Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 or GA-970A-D3P

This will be fitted with the following
    CPU: FX8350
    RAM: 4x8Gb Gskillz
    PSU: CORSAIR HX1000
    Vid: 2x GTX 970
    HSF: Noctua NH-D15 (overkill I know)
    Boot drive: 860 evo 500GB
    Storage: 2x2 TB WD Black

The motherboard is the issue. I have these 2 on hand. .Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 or GA-970A-D3P

Or if there are any words of wisdom on this one?
    The Motherboard is the lacking piece of hardware in this setup as far as I can see.

PSU is actually going to be the Corsair HX750i. My buddy had the wrong one for me.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    This is the one I am using now:

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-4xDD...12QS1S6ME&th=1

I had two of these GA-970A-D3P , die on me. Never used the Asus board because I prefer Gigabyte boards.

Funny photolady, thats the one we were just working on with the usb issues too. It was the case though. Bad Antec QA at the time but anyhow, I was also looking at the 970A-UD3P but can't seem to find a new one or a 990fxa-ud3. (It's a shame they don't make the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer anymore, can't even find one. Only board that supported the FX cpu and the M.2). Plus I avoid integrated graphics at all cost. I have plenty of cards around anyhow and I am looking at running 2 GTX 970's. That board kind of doesn't work for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashalon1 View Post
    Funny photolady, thats the one we were just working on with the usb issues too. It was the case though. Bad Antec QA at the time but anyhow, I was also looking at the 970A-UD3P but can't seem to find a new one or a 990fxa-ud3. (It's a shame they don't make the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer anymore, can't even find one. Only board that supported the FX cpu and the M.2). Plus I avoid integrated graphics at all cost. I have plenty of cards around anyhow and I am looking at running 2 GTX 970's. That board kind of doesn't work for that.
    That's funny, my USB problems were from an Antec 900 case. I don't use onboard video. I have a standalone video card that I use. I bought this board because it did use my 8350 FX cpu and had four memory slots, rather than two which some boards had. I needed four. But I'm not a gamer, as you can probably tell from my user name, I'm a photographer. I only need one video card, my video card is a GT 710 with 2gb memory though that's over kill cause I don't do video but it's there anyway, and up to 16GB ram, though 32 would be nice to have, it's just not really necessary.
    I don't use the newer boards because I don't want to have to run something that will only allow me to run Windows 10. I hate Windows 10, and until Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7, I'm sticking with it. Maybe I'll go Linux after that.

One other thought, I don't use the onboard, but it's there if I ever need it.

For now the 8350 is on the 970a-d3p board with the 750 watt psu and a gtx 1060. This thing is running like Junk. Just unbelievably slow. All drivers are installed to the evo HDD (being the boot drive as stated). The temps stay about 31˚ under heavy loads. Could this be the boards fault?

What's the brand on the psu? That's seems awful low for what you're running.

I've never known a mobo to make things run slow, most of the time it's something inside.

On my last built two weeks ago, I had dead ram. Don't know which one it was, I just replaced it with new. Computer kept shutting off at a certain point while installing Windows. It's fine now.

Are all the parts new? Or parts from other builds? Is the OS a fresh install?

I think it was a Diablotek that I got from Amazon a few years back. Just yanked one from a box I had. It was never used so I figured, why not? Everything but the board is new.

Oh and no it's not a fresh install.

If not a fresh install that could be your problem or part of your problem. A new motherboard, old install, do not mix most times. I'd do a fresh install. That would probably fix your slowness.

It's not a new motherboard. The operating system that was transferred to the evo was off of the same board. The one I'm actually writing from currently. I had the original install image with motherboard drivers still so I just used that rather than do an install and then install drivers. The only differences are the video cards, hard drives, cooling and psu. I will try a fresh Install though.

Well, it still could be the other install image giving you grief. A fresh install might fix that, might not. The board sitting around for a few years could be the problem too, though I've only heard of that in one instance when a motherboard completely failed because of age, but that one wouldn't even boot. In this case of yours, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The RAM isn't new either? Have you tested it?

Everything is brand new. When I said the board wasn't new I just meant not up to date. Everything came from unopened packaging. The ram I ordered came in Monday, yeah that's pretty new. I would try to swap ram from mine but I'm running with a NH-D14 HSF and the other one has a NH-D15. You know how big these are? You can't simply swap ram. You need to remove the HSF to do it. Testing each stick? That is a LOT of work as I am out of boards at the moment. X-mas cleared me out for anything that used ddr3.

If you use UBCD, it will test all four sticks and tell you if one is bad. Make a boot disk from the link below in my signature, then run Memtest86. I'm sure you now about UBCD right? It's the go to ultimate boot disk utilities everything to do with computers tester disk.

Thread Information