Make it stop!

Thread: Make it stop!

Make it stop!

I have a laptop running Windows 10 and using Chrome as my browser. A couple of days ago, when I opened Chrome I started getting one pop up after another in the lower right corner, all seemingly from a website www.business. I cancel one and another opens up, often identical to the one I just closed. Not sure what caused this, but I would sure like to know how to make them go away for good. Any thoughts?

Try running Malwarebytes to see if it finds anything. Also, if you have any Chrome extensions running, disable them.
    Post back the results.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Do you have an ad blocker?

Ran Malwarebytes. It found 6 potentially damaging items which I quarantined. Checked my Chrome extensions and removed two Chrome components I was unfamiliar with and an Avast component. I do use uBlock for my ad blocker. Rebooted, but the pop-up windows continue. They have a tiny Chrome logo in the upper left of the box and they all seem to be from www.business. Judging from the content, they look like clickbait. Eventually, after closing eight or so, many of which are repeats, they stop.

Might be time to take a walk through here:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/for...sive-Care-Unit

I just noticed that all of these pop-ups eventually end up in the "notifications" folder at the end of the toolbar. Might this be some sort of Chrome or Windows application?

It is likely an "application" of some sort, but I would classify it as the malware sort - a PUP (potentially Unwanted Program) at the very least. If Malwarebytes did not eradicate it, it may be time to follow the steps in photolady's link to get some system logs for analysis to try to locate the offending "application".

Quote Originally Posted by RonJohn View Post
    I just noticed that all of these pop-ups eventually end up in the "notifications" folder at the end of the toolbar. Might this be some sort of Chrome or Windows application?
    I can tell you it's not a Chrome or Windows application. It's what jdc said. Take yourself over to the link I left and follow the instructions.

I figured out the problem. I clicked on the "notifications" icon. It opened up a sidebar. At the top was and icon listed as "settings." I right clicked on it and a menu dropped down. The first option was Stop All Notifications. I clicked on it and the problem stopped. Thanks for your help in this matter.

But if it were me, I'd want to know what those click baits were, rather than hide them in the system to become problematic again some day. It doesn't mean they went away, it just means you hid them.

Windows 10 can get pop-up ads from Microsoft and/or Microsoft partners.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3159...r-pop-ups.html

However, I would still want to verify that there was no malware, especially since Malwarebytes already detected some items.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Windows 10 can get pop-up ads from Microsoft and/or Microsoft partners.
    That's another reason for me not to run Windows 10.

You can block the ads in Windows 10, but it just one more thing that makes setting up Windows 10 a pain. I will be setting up a new Windows 10 computer in the next week or two using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (Long Term Service Branch), but it will still be a pain to shut off the telemetry and Cortana and OneDrive and re-enable all of the things Microsoft hides that they don't want you to see or use.

I will also be setting up an alternative for testing as well:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...linux-desktop/

Thread Information