Photoshop Sub Windows Won't Open

Thread: Photoshop Sub Windows Won't Open

Photoshop Sub Windows Won't Open

Alright I'm just about in tears. This morning a video game window was taking a while to open for some reason. But it did open.

Later when I tried to use Photoshop it opened fine but when I open files they will not display in Photoshop! As usual open files appear as sub windows on the task bar but for some reason when I click on the file nothing happens. All the Photoshop options work just fine. In "Layers" the image appears as if the file is open, but it's not! Obviously making changes to a photo is useless if you can't see the photo!

I'm not sure if that makes any sense but it's the best I can describe it.

What I've tried, multiple restarts, a full Windows update. And a full uninstall and reinstall of Photoshop with the exact same results.

Please help! I feel the problem may be with Windows and not Photoshop due to the earlier issue!

Alright, I see other people online with NIVIDA graphics cards are having the EXACT same problem. I have no idea why this started for me just this afternoon but the solution seems simple. UPDATE THE GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER.

It seems to be working now.

Boy do I feel like an idiot for deleting all my Photoshop preferences.

I'll report back in later today to make sure it's still working.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Quote Originally Posted by dollanganger1 View Post
    Alright, I see other people online with NIVIDA graphics cards are having the EXACT same problem. I have no idea why this started for me just this afternoon but the solution seems simple. UPDATE THE GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER.

It seems to be working now.

Boy do I feel like an idiot for deleting all my Photoshop preferences.

I'll report back in later today to make sure it's still working.
    I remember this issue of sometime ago but I don't think the solution at the time was to update your graphics card driver, it had to do with something in PhotoShop preferences.
    And for the life of me, I can't remember what that is now, it's been a few years ago since this problem popped up.

Are you using cloud version or standalone cd version?

It's Windows 10, the CC version. It's my understanding the old CD versions won't work with Windows 10.

Thank goodness it was an easy fix. Actually Photoshop did keep all of my preferences even though it specifically asked if it wanted me to delete them and I clicked "yes."

Updating the graphics card also fixed some other issues so, great! I'd never updated my graphics card before (or that it was even possible) but now I know how. For some reason my PC showed two graphics cards. I only updated the NAVIDA.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    If your computer has onboard video and you added a standalone card, it would show two video cards. And it's Nvidia, not Navidia. If you never updated the driver, you should have. New drivers aren't always needed but sometimes they fix bugs in the older drivers or make them compatible with new software.

Thread Information