[RESOLVED] Chrome 68 and 70 not using my profile

Thread: [RESOLVED] Chrome 68 and 70 not using my profile

Resolved [RESOLVED] Chrome 68 and 70 not using my profile

This is Foxy, and my last email address. Trying to stay logged in.

I call my machines HP and Gateway, and both have Win7 Ultimate.

I've been using the HP for some time with Chrome 68.(Yes, I know it's not current, but I have a reason.) I use Chrome only for online work, FF for everything else.

Wanting to use the Gateway for work instead, I made an exact copy of my profile from the HP, installed it into

C:\Users\PC-03\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

I installed Chrome 68, and the only thing it's using from the profile is the bookmark bar. There are TamperMonkey scripts and other extensions in my profile.

I unistalled 68, kept the profile, installed 70, with the same result,

So I have 2 machines with an identical OS, one runs 68 with profile, the other sees only the bookmarks.

I'm not using sync, and I'm fine with each machine being separate.

Chrome profiles aren't portable like Firefox. You can't just copy the folder from one system to another. Google purposely made it this way. If anything, you'd have to login to Google/Gmail with on both installations of Chrome and then use sync.

https://portableapps.com/node/58778
    The Google Chrome team decided to lock Chrome to a specific Windows install and user profile. You can't even backup a local copy and restore it to another PC as it will trash all your extensions then as well.
    For the longer, more boring read:
    https://portableapps.com/node/42637

Foxy again.

Would you believe I posted that at 3 other forums with no replies? THIS IS THE PLACE

So I would need to install my extensions and all my scripts into this machine?

I don't have a Google account, am using Chrome just as a user. They want your phone # to set up an account.

I use Chrome just for work, FF the rest of the time. If I used sync, can both machines share the same profile? I have to compare the work involved with the work of duplicating all my Tampermonkey scripts.

It's possible they'll log me off again, but I'll check your reply.

You just need a Gmail address. I don't recall having to enter a phone number.

If you don't have a Google account, then yes you will have to reinstall your extensions and scripts.

You won't be able to sync without a Google account, so that's a moot point.
    https://chrome.google.com/sync

Actually both Gmail and Yahoo insisted on my phone number so a bot could text me or speak a code for me to fill into a box online. They used to require just an alternate email address. I gave them the lesser of 2 evils, my landline.

This was a little surprising. After transferring the profile, I installed my 4 extensions into Chrome, including Tampermonkey, which read some part of my profile and duplicated my scripts exactly. Added my color scheme and I was all set.

So I don't need a sync. My profile for work never changes. :-)

Didn't print my previous post.
    Yahoo and Gmail said they had to call or text me with a code, and required a phone number. Gave them my landline. It would be naive to think they don't sell those to marketing companies.

Tampermonkey found my scripts in the profile and copied them exactly. I just had to find my color scheme. :-) Can't mark this "Resolved" because I can't log back in with Foxy6. Hee-hee

Thanks, Midknyte.
    Last edited by foxycat8; December 8th, 2018 at 04:16 AM.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I've never had google or yahoo ask for my phone number and I have both email accounts with them. But if they do, you can opt out of giving them yours. AFAIK, it's not mandatory.

Yahoo and Gmail said they had to call or text me with a code, and required a phone number.
    That's if you opt in for the 2 step authentication/verification. It's not required, but it's extra security. Lots of other services have enabled similar features.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    That's if you opt in for the 2 step authentication/verification. It's not required, but it's extra security. Lots of other services have enabled similar features.
    Guess I misunderstood what I read, and thanks.
    Last edited by Foxycat7; December 10th, 2018 at 12:15 AM.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Exactly. Brother was setting up his Firefox yesterday after I reinstalled Windows 7 for him and came across this, I had him click the "skip this" option, then he was good to go.

Thread Information