No Network access to D partitions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Network access to D partitions

Sharing the 16 folders separately should not create any issues, or, you could put all of the 16 folders into another Share folder so they are subfolders of the Share (or whatever you want to name it ) folder, and then just share that folder.

Still another idea is to just use the existing Microsoft folders that are designed for sharing.

All of my computers are behind a firewall. The XP and Vista PC's are not used for general internet access, although they can access the internet. Remember that all computers, regardless of operating system and whether they are fully up-to-date on patches or not are still vulnerable to malware or zero-day attacks, since all operating systems have security holes that hackers may know about but the OS maker does not yet know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You'd need to have the same users and passwords on both systems. That's how they would authenticate on the other computer. However, turning off password protected sharing should have allowed you to access shares without passwords.

How did you share the D: drive? Step 1 on the link that jdc2000 provided has the steps for creating a share.
    Yes, I had done step 1. See my post #14 for other answer.
    2 desktops--
    Win7Ult /both 6GB RAM / Firefox 52.9ESR / Avast A-V /Thunderbird / Chrome/ Verizon FIOS ethernet

I need to follow jdc's directions at TomsHardware re: network map, and I'll get back to you when it's done. I work online, so don't have as much free time as I once did.
    2 desktops--
    Win7Ult /both 6GB RAM / Firefox 52.9ESR / Avast A-V /Thunderbird / Chrome/ Verizon FIOS ethernet

12/2015 chapter 483:

I found one of the problems. I named the 2nd computer Gateway, a term also used in networking, and in the network map it's shown as a router, so I'm changing it to Gate. Where would I do that, and do I have to do it in the Registry, too? I'm familiar with the registry.

Putting all my D data folders into a nested folder was disastrous. Backups, shortcuts and databases for various programs, including my clipboard and password program had to be rerouted, and it was a mess. Changed it back.
    Last edited by Foxycat4; December 15th, 2018 at 02:14 PM.
    2 desktops--

Where would I do that, and do I have to do it in the Registry, too? I'm familiar with the registry.
    You change the workstation name in the same place that you change the workgroup name. I already gave the instructions in post #10. You don't have to touch the registry.

Right-click Computer - Properties
    Click Advanced system settings
    Click the Computer Name tab
    *Make sure that each computer has a different Computer name
    If Workgroup is not set to WORKGROUP, click on the Change... button
    Enter WORKGROUP in Workgroup box and click OK
    Click OK to the welcome message
    Click OK to restart message
    Click Close
    Click Restart Now

Got it.
    2 desktops--

Thread Information