[RESOLVED] Random system crashes with no clear dump (Win 10 Pro x64)

Thread: [RESOLVED] Random system crashes with no clear dump (Win 10 Pro x64)

Resolved [RESOLVED] Random system crashes with no clear dump (Win 10 Pro x64)

As the title states I am having system crashes and my dump files aren't helping me at all so I turned to hardware.
    This started after I upgraded from a single stick of Kingston 8 Gb ram to two 8 Gb sticks in dual channel mode. Going to the memory dumps it stated anything from Mobizen to Avg causing it (I didn't follow it completely though).

I then pulled it from dual channel and placed it in single channel mode. This has made the crashes less frequent yet they persist. I then individually tested each stick for 8 hours and had 0 errors. I have noticed a rather strange clicking sound emitting from my speakers occasionally though as if there were a bad ground somewhere. I did change some speaker settings to attempt to alleviate that problem but that didn't work. I did check and didn't find any issues with my connections.

So maybe a question rather. Could this be a power supply issue or could I still have faulty ram even though it tests good, is new and matched? Unfortunately I do not have another board to put these into at the moment to check them.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

It is hard to say for sure if it is RAM or something else at present. I would try running the system with 1 RAM module for long enough to see if it crashes. If it doesn't, then swap that RAM module for the other one and test again. If both work OK separately, but crashes occur with both installed, then it is likely a RAM issue of some sort. One extra RAM module should not overtax a power supply. It could also be a motherboard issue though.

Post the make and model of the power supply and the motherboard.

Ok obviously this is still me and can't get back in because of some log in issue that restrains it.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte 970A-D3P V2
    The power supply is a generic 550w agi u550ub

We're having log in issues. Don't log out and don't delete cookies so you can get back in more easily.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Ok I'm throwing in my back-up Corsair CX750M power supply (Since it is better than that generic AGI) and will have a couple of sticks of ram and another pc for testing in a couple days for the ram. It may be a fluke that it tests out fine with memtest86+ but ultimately is bad. I will post back with the results.

I do not dare sign out from this alter ego either to try the original for fear I may never return.

As it turns out, memtest86 lied. One of or both sticks are faulty. I could not get them to run stably on any board in any configuration. I ran memtest86 on 2 of the other boards with this ram as well and had 0 errors on both sticks after 8 hours each. I (for fun) put some faulty ram in the original Gigabyte board and it actually was more stable than the original ram. I ran known good ram with absolutely no problems.

I am currently looking at some GSkill snipers or GSkill RipjawsZ to buy for permanent residence in this machine. Which ones?

Or these? Just kidding By the way...https://www.ebay.com/itm/YRUIS-32GB-....c100005.m1851

I'll format the link properly next time. I was just laughing too hard for the 3.99 for 32 Gb of ram on ebay.

Either GSkill pair should be OK. You may want to check the motherboard's RAM compatibility chart on the manufacturer's web site though.

I actually asked around as I didn't see it on the QVL and a lot of people who have this board have the same ram so I went ahead with the G.Skill Ripjaw X series. 4x8Gb. For now? I am strangely enough, running on some random ddr3 I had laying around, just some oddball sticks. 1 OCZ 2Gb/ 1066, a stick of Samsung 2 Gb @ 1333 and Aida won't even read the last one even though the bios and the OS sees the other 2 GB. I cannot believe it's actually running. Picked up the 32 Gb all matched for $120!! I swear I better not have an issue.

I will post back when it arrives. Now in the meantime? I think I will get my son off of that AMD 6300 and give him an 8350. What do ya say?

(Oh and by the way? Just for the fun of it, I ordered that other ram for 3.99 from china. I'm going to test it in an old HP. That's what it gets for being an HP.)
    Last edited by Ashalon1; December 2nd, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Ram arrived 2 days ago and I waited to post. I have had no issues since the upgrade. Problem completely solved and that old ram is hitting the trash.

Thanks for letting us know.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information