DSN not responding

Thread: DSN not responding

DSN not responding

My son has a fairly new HP laptop running Win10. All was well until yesterday when Microsoft asked him if it was a good time for him to update. He said yes, it eventually rebooted and later shut his laptop. Now when he boots up, everything is fine for a few minutes, he can access the internet, etc, but then, his laptop disconnects from the internet and he gets a message that his DNS is not responding. All our other devices hooked up to the same wifi network are working fine. He keeps rebooting with the same results. He has done a virus scan and it found nothing. Any ideas?

Quick update....Obviously I meant DNS. He is using Chrome as his browser and now seems to think the problem has something to do with his Facebook account.

A more likely issue is the Microsoft update. Microsoft had an incorrect update to some HP drivers in their latest Windows 10 batch of updates. They claim to have fixed it, but they may not have.

However, you could check your DNS settings and change them to Google's DNS Servers if they are not set for that already. Make sure to write down the settings you found before making any changes.

Link:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...ngs-windows-10

You could also try updating the NIC drivers (wired and/or wireless).

I will pass this on to him, although I have no idea how to update the NIC drivers. I will do some research. An interesting aspect of this problem is Facebook. Once he logs on, it seems as though everything is fine until he goes to his Facebook page and then the connection to our wifi shuts down and he gets the DNS message. Thanks for your responses.

Chances are he would get the DNS issue on any web page, not just Facebook.

HP's web site would have the drivers for the laptop, but you might need to download them from a computer with a working internet connection.

Well, in this case, Facebook is the trigger. His laptop functions normally until he accesses his Facebook page and then it shuts down with the DNS error.

So, if you open a web browser and go to Google's home page - https://www.google.com - and enter something to search for and press enter, it works OK - no errors?

Note: This test won't work if you have the browser's home page set to Facebook.

Just to wrap this up...What ever was going on, has fixed itself. Kind of maddening to not figure out exactly what was happening, but everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Thread Information