Inconsistent fan noise from new laptop

Thread: Inconsistent fan noise from new laptop

Inconsistent fan noise from new laptop

The new laptop: Dell Latitude 5490, i5 8th gen, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, Windows 10.

The problem: The fan noise is inconsistent. I was browsing the web, and it was quite, as it should be. Then, all of a sudden, it became much louder and much more audible, to the point of it being quite a distraction. I've used it for 1 hour now, and this has happened twice. I also check the Task manager every time the fan noise shoots up, and there's nothing to be seen: it's just my browser taking up CPU and memory at a standard level.

The question: Why is the fan noise inconsistent, and what can I do to fix it? Audible noise when merely web-browsing is a deal-breaker for me, and I checked before buying the laptop, and it shouldn't be audible for web-browsing.

It is likely not a computer issue. I have that happen on some systems (desktop and laptop) also. It is more likely the web site that is causing the problem. Some sites run scripts or videos that put a heavier load on the CPU and hard drive/SSD, which can cause the fan(s) to come on as more heat is being generated. Check for autoplay videos on parts of the page that you need to scroll to. You could try uBlock Origin to block ads and scripts. Also, try a different browser on the same sites to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    It is likely not a computer issue. I have that happen on some systems (desktop and laptop) also. It is more likely the web site that is causing the problem. Some sites run scripts or videos that put a heavier load on the CPU and hard drive/SSD, which can cause the fan(s) to come on as more heat is being generated. Check for autoplay videos on parts of the page that you need to scroll to. You could try uBlock Origin to block ads and scripts. Also, try a different browser on the same sites to see what happens.
    i understand ill try!
    thankyou

Thank you for your analysis. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.
    I have that happen on some systems (desktop and laptop) also. It is more likely the web site that is causing the problem. Some sites run scripts or videos that put a heavier load on the CPU and hard drive/SSD, which can cause the fan(s) to come on as more heat is being generated. Check for autoplay videos on parts of the page that you need to scroll to. You could try uBlock Origin to block ads and scripts.

Thread Information