Phone scam: Win7 license is “about to expire”

Thread: Phone scam: Win7 license is “about to expire”

Phone scam: Win7 license is “about to expire”

I’m writing in reference to what my wife & I believe to be a phone scam related to the upcoming termination of Microsoft support for Windows 7.
    https://www.askwoody.com/2018/phone-...out-to-expire/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I've read the phone companies are getting together to make better spam call blockers, as it's not our responsibility.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Windows 7 SUPPORT will be expiring at the end of 2019, but your Windows LICENSE does not ever expire, at least not under the present licensing terms.

This is another fairly old scam, just updated.

You are providing a public service.
    Last edited by foxy; April 25th, 2019 at 09:31 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by foxy; April 28th, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

Re Robocalls..

I use a call blocking app called Call Control on my cell phone. It works quite well. Not perfect but it catches 90% of scam callers. There's a feature/time limited free version and a paid version. Unfortunately the paid version has gone up in price considerably from when I bought it a couple of years ago.

https://www.callcontrol.com/

There are other similar free apps available, some of which look promising.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I give my cell phone # out only to a few people, doctors, close friends, some customers. I see people in supermarkets and drugstores giving out their # freely to the clerks for so-called "rewards" cards, then they complain about spam ans scam calls. I never post my cell # anywhere online. I believe smart-phones are much more susceptible to spamming because they're connected everywhere to everything.

Most of my scam calls are on my landline, and Verizon has started sending the word "Spam" above the #. I've stopped the computer scamss by telling them I have no computer. Last month I received a few calls in Chinese, which caused great merriment.

The NYTimes article was right. It's not our responsibility to block them and we shouldn't have to pay for it.
    Last edited by foxy; April 28th, 2019 at 03:34 PM.

Thread Information