Still can't install latest updates

Thread: Still can't install latest updates

Hybrid View

Still can't install latest updates

I asked here previously about how to do a Repair Install. Before that I couldn't run a sfc /scannow, couldn't install some updates, including rollups since Dec, and half a dozen other things, although the system is only 2 years old.

So this week I ran the repair install with the help of Vdr, which ran smoothly, and I ran Dism++ to add some updates.

Surprise: the latest Rollup and .NET Framework still won't install, nor any Rollup since Dec. (I need the .NET not by choice, but to use the latest update for my freestanding GPS.)

EventViewer of the .Net install
    Attachment 14859
    Attachment 14861

"Dot Net error 1303, the installer has insufficient privileges to access
    this directory C:\etc...BreadcrumbStore."

The NetFramework folder is empty. Do I have to toast the bread first or just make the crumbs? Since when do I need special privileges to install updates? I've installed 100 into this machine

EventViewer for Rollup install
    Attachment 14863

I have no proof the repair install even took place.
    ...............................................................................
    Found this, but WIN key+X does nothing. Another way to set this up?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-5841bd611185
    Last edited by foxy; October 12th, 2018 at 01:53 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

The latest Windows 7 "Monthly Security and Quality Rollup" won't install for me either. Maybe next month. Fortunately, you weren't one of the Windows 10 users who had the latest "update" delete all of their Documents and Pictures files.

For the Dot Net error, you could try changing the permissions on the folder referenced at least temporarily to allow all users full access.

For the Microsoft article, look in the Start Menu for Command Prompt, and right-click and select Run As Admin.

There is no folder called BreadCrumbs. Should i just make one?

But I haven't installed a Rollup since last Dec, and that includes the Spectre/Meltdown one. And now after the Repair Install, they're still not there. Do you have any idea why this would happen? I have an Admin account.

No, I'm not using 10 at all right now. Got 7 only 2 years ago, staying on it as long as I can.
    As I don't want to do a wipe/reinstall/install 60 programs on a somewhat dated machine, I might have a solution.

I have a 3rd machine, a Vista, given by a friend, with hardware much better than this one. I bought a Win7 for it when they were still selling them, and haven't installed it yet. It needs a complete wipe, because the woman's husband passworded everything with him as admin. If I'm going to do a wipe, I'd rather do it in that machine.

But I've never done a complete install from scratch. I might be back here in a few days with very little hair left on my head.
    Last edited by foxy; October 14th, 2018 at 02:53 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try the Microsoft thing first. But I still need the other computer.

Can;t edit #4. I tried the MS thing, got error messages with first 2 commands, saying the command was not valid. Tried the install again. No cigar.

The .NET one is in, also the latest MSE definition. :-D
    If you were to trace my thread history here, you'll see almost all involved the UAC. It's probably worse in Win10. :-(

Not sure why you would get a command not valid error for the Net Stop commands. You can stop the services from the Services window though. wuauserv is the Windows Update service. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services also. Then continue with the rest of the commands. UAC should not be interfering with Windows Updates.

UAC was involved with .NET updates.

My Update Svce is wuauclt, have never seen wuauserv in Task Mger.
    What's the full Services name of BITS and MSI Installer? I don't recognize them in the list.

If this site isn't fixed, we'll still be doing this in January.

MSI Installer: (msiserver)

https://computerstepbystep.com/windo...r_service.html

BITS: (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)

https://computerstepbystep.com/backg...r_service.html

Possible help on the wuauserv error:

https://www.techsupportall.com/how-t...-update-error/

A few of those cmd's didn't work. Not update either.

Should I restart BITS and MSI?
    Should MSI be manual or automatic?

I'm going to set up my 3rd machine with Win7, and when it's up and running, in about 2 weeks, do a complete wipe of this one.

Do you have any caveats about setting up Win 7 over Vista? Can I do that as an upgrade instead of wiping?
    Last edited by foxy; October 19th, 2018 at 01:48 AM.

Thread Information