I need a way

Thread: I need a way

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back

I need a way

To connect my computer to my brother's modem without running wires to it when my desktop isn't wireless. I'd rather have cable connection because wireless isn't as fast nor is it as safe. I've used Routers before. What I'm asking is can I use a wireless, wired router to pick up his signal, then have a wired connection from there to connect my computer? It's been so long since I've used a router, I don't remember if they come with both, wireless and wired ports.

What I'm asking is can I use a wireless, wired router to pick up his signal, then have a wired connection from there to connect my computer?
    I think you're asking about using a router in client-bridge mode. Basically the bridged router connects to the wifi network, and then you can connect wired clients to the ethernet ports. You'd need to check if your router has that feature or not.

https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is...ghthawk-router

I don't have a router yet. I was going to buy one so I need to look to see if the one I buy has the Client-bridge mode, correct?

Ya, it would be something like client-bridge or just bridge mode, depending on the brand.

There are third party firmwares like DDWRT that have that feature, but you'd have to see which models are compatible. If you're not comfortable with flashing third party firmware into your router, then it's easier to just buy a new one.

I might not need this now. I've about decided to put my computer in my room since my older brother moved in and has decided he wants to claim most of the living room. I didn't want my computer back in my bedroom since it's the smallest one in our house, with not much room for much in there, my bed, my tv, and my computer, makes it kind of cramped and makes me feel claustrophobic. UGH!!

Thread Information