Generic driver for widescreen monitor?

Thread: Generic driver for widescreen monitor?

Generic driver for widescreen monitor?

I have a problem with the NVIDIA GT-620 driver, it won't come back on after a warm boot. This really drives you nuts during installations, system restore or anything that requires a reboot. So I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a generic driver for a wide screen ("24") monitor. I refuse to work on a screen with a squashed display so it would have to have some way of changing the display size to fit the screen.

Thanks - rev

You should actually look for update drivers for the video card, and then make sure to use the native resolution of the monitor. Is it 32 or 64 bit Windows 7? You should be able to get the video drivers from Nvidia.
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

What is the make/model of the monitor? That would help us find out the native resolution.

>You should be able to get the video drivers from Nvidia.
    It's the latest Nvida driver that doesn't work. I'm using 1842 x 1036 and everything is fine and wonderful - until I do a warm boot. Then the monitor, which is an ATVIO 24" TV screen (1080p), doesn't come back on. It will come back on after a cold shutdown but only if I wait. Presumably, the wait is necessary for all power to dissipate from all components.

1842 x 1036? That is NOT a standard resolution. 1080p is 1920x1080. If you didn't install a driver, then the TV is using the standard Windows monitor driver already.

Didn't you make a different post about that TV? Did you try a different monitor or not?

>Didn't you make a different post about that TV?
    I did install the latest NVIDIA driver for the GT-620 and my previous post about the TV was about how to make the display fit the screen because the clock, the start button and the X at top right were off the display. I found a resize utility in NVIDIA control panel so I got that sorted out.

But then this latest problem started happening, won't come on after a warm boot. I don't mean to doubt you but if resolution was the issue I'd surely have problems under all circumstances but I don't. Everything is fine all the time - except when I do a warm boot. I recently had to wipe and reinstall everything, around 100 installations so you can imagine how much longer it took because I had to shut down (cold) and wait before the monitor would come back.

Some operations need a warm boot so I would have to wait for the warm boot without a monitor and when I was really sure the machine had finished booting (because I allowed enough time) then I'd have to crash it, wait, and then start from cold boot. Then the monitor would come on.

Something is weird if you have to resize and use a custom resolution. I think you should test with another monitor and see if you have similar problems. My guess would be an issue with the TV, rather than the video card or Windows drivers.

I had to reinstall from Windows scratch which uses a generic driver - the monitor has no problem coming back on after warm boots. The display has the right aspect ratio but doesn't fill the screen, do you know if there's a way to resize a generic monitor?

do you know if there's a way to resize a generic monitor?
    Again, the monitor does not determine the resolution. It is merely taking the output from the video card. That's why you're fiddling with the video drivers.

Sorry, I meant to say the driver. I think you understand, I want the display to fit the screen such that everything is not squashed.

What about the method you used the last time?

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...ng-the-display

We were not able to find any specs on the actual resolution when used as a computer monitor. Without that, you will just have to try different resolutions until you find one that works.

>just have to try different resolutions
    We're not connecting, probably my fault but let me try to explain.

The display ends an inch from every side of the screen. The current resolution is 1280 x 1024. If I change the resolution, say to 800 x 600, the display stillends an inch from every side of the screen only now the items shown are larger.

I don't want larger or smaller text within the same display size, I want the display size to fit the screen. If that explanation doesn't do it, I can send pictures.

I understand your description of the issue. However, the only method you have as far as driver adjustments to fix the problem is to change the resolution and see what happens. There are no other video card settings you can change that will eliminate the unused screen area. If you can't make an adjustment on the TV to fix that, then you may be out of luck.

As explained, I changed the resolution but it only makes the items shown look larger it doesn't change the dimensions of the display, i.e. resolution has nothing to do with my question.

Resolution changes the size of things displayed, not the size of the display.

The NVIDIA driver sucks and doesn't work for me but in their control panel there is a utility for grabbing the corner of the display and stretching it to fit the screen. That's only going to work for me as long as the NVIDIA driver is installed and I don't want it. So I'm looking for a generic driver that has that utility.

So I'm looking for a generic driver that has that utility.
    I've never heard of a generic video card driver that can do custom resolutions like that.

At this point, I think it's more of a problem with the TV than the video card. That's why I keep recommending that you test the PC with another monitor.

>can do custom resolutions like that.
    This has nothing to do with resolution. I will send you pictures as soon as I have a free port to plug my camera into. The montior is fine, working as it should now that I'm not using the NVIDIA driver.

Thread Information